Oven door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven door

I need to begin my oven door (unhinged for a dome arch) I am planning to use wood on the exterior but what material is suitable for the sandwiched layers. I am guessing something that reflects heat rather than absorbs. I attached two photos.

Re: Oven door

I used the type of insulation that is used for lining electric ovens. A trip to your local dump will score all you need.

Note that wood burns. I used aluminum to keep the weight down.
    Last edited by Neil2; 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I really like that chimney flue.. what exactly is it?
      My oven (for now):
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

I salvaged it from old chimnea the we bought about 10 years ago. cast iron and not a spec of rust. The rest of the chimnea was little more than hardscape. It had a build in spark arrestor too, and it was bought and paid for.

Comment

I made mine out of aluminum, filled with loose vermiculite, and about a bucket full of pop-rivets.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les Mine is similar to yours but I used a bit of concrete in with my vermiculite and I used sheet steel and a bunch of rivets. Then I riveted stove rope around the edge to help with the seal. My door is heavy but I fired and baked on Sunday and on Tuesday evening the oven was still too hot to lay your hand on the floor. The outside temps have been around -20 then add a windchill. So I think my door is keeping up with the rest of the oven.

Comment

Sheet aluminum, insulating blanket remnants, bunch of rivets, and a single handle from an old trowel. The whole door weighs less than 5 pounds.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
              X