chimney options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney options

So, after seeing a chimney using an old iron chimnea, it got me thinking what else might be used. So, today, while wasting some time, I went into a garden center and saw the ceramic urns they had. Some were embossed and had a nice chimney shape. Would these work?
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Re: chimney options

Im sure they would crack with the heat the flue would put out.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I'm also about to fit my stainless steel flue. I dont have an adapter or flue kit. The flue is welded to a ss plate that i was going to dyna bolt down onto the bricks. I am then going to brick around this to match the existing gable end (a walled oven ) and fill the gap between the flue and brick with loose vermiculite. Any foreseeable issues???

Comment

Why would it break... it's the same material as a regular chimney flue, just nicer looking? Sorry, I'm going to need a better explanation than just 'no, it won't'. Surprisingly the cost isn't too bad.. only $35 for the ones pictured.
        My oven (for now):

Comment

Moley, sounds good. Tman1, it may work, it may crack the first time you fire it. Normal refractory flue is not glazed, and when it is, it uses a different type glaze (salt glaze). For 35 bucks it's worth a shot. The real question is, is it big enough?

Comment

They had multiple sizes at the store.. this is just what I took a picture of. They didn't really have too big of a selection since gardening is not the thing to do in Minnesota in December. Some of the other ones looked they'd be a good urn to hold the peels in upright.... plenty heavy enough to withstand being toppled. Some of them would need some modification to open up for more air flow. If you could find one big enough for a steel flue to fit inside, then you might really have something!
            My oven (for now):

Comment

"Any foreseeable issues???"

Bolting to the bricks is problematic. I would just set it on a thin bed of mortar. If you are going to brick around and then fill with vermiculite it should be plenty sturdy enough. If you are concerned with stability you could even fill the gap with 12:1 vermicrete.

Comment

Thanks Neil, good advice.

Comment

Working...
                X