Need help deciding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding

I'm not the most artistic person and my wife isn't much help so I thought I'ld throw this question out to see what you guys/girls think.
    I'm about to start build my outer arch and I'm still undecided which way I'll place the bricks longs ways or short way. Here's a pic to help

As you can see in the pic the bricks on the left side of what will be the arch long side facing forward and the right side are width facing forward.
    The arch will follow the same shape as the inner arch and I'm undecided which way to face the bricks for best effect.
    The bricks will obviously have mortar joints so it's a little hard to gather how'd they look when finished.
    I asked my wife and all she said was they're skinny bricks I don't think I like those. Well if she showed some interest in the build I would have consulted her before buying them but that's another story.

I'm leaning towards the right side as I think the front could end up looking to big the other way.
    Last edited by OscarA; 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM.

Re: Need help deciding

Left bricks for me, nothing looks gooder than an arch built with stretchers.

Although, alternating headers and stretchers would look good and please both of you.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You're not meant to make things more confusing for me.

Comment

Stretchers are harder to make look good, headers are a lot easier to make look good.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i can see why stretchers are harder so with my brickwork skills I should do headers.

Comment

Oscar,
            I would use the right side. With the left side you would have pretty wide mortar joints by the outer end of the radius with very narrow bricks. Just my humble opinion.
            Eric

Comment

I think which way to go would depend on what the final enclosure design is going to be.
              I like to draw things out on paper (napkins) before I do things.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I would use the right side. With the left side you would have pretty wide mortar joints by the outer end of the radius with very narrow bricks. Just my humble opinion.
                That was one of the reasons I chose narrow bricks as the outer mortar joints will be narrower than using standard bricks. Having said that even though the joints wont be as wide the skinnier brick will still make the joints look wide.
                I have decided to go the right side as I think it'll be easier to lay, joints narrower and look less bulky.
                Only down side is more cutting with the angle grinder is required unless I leave them the way they are and have them over hanging the stand.

I think which way to go would depend on what the final enclosure design is going to be.
                I like to draw things out on paper (napkins) before I do things.
                It will be an igloo style so the bulky front look might not suit.
                A picture wont work as I can't draw for the life of me.
                I have searched for a similar design but not much out there.
                No matter I think laying them as headers will look quite smart.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarA View Post

i can see why stretchers are harder so with my brickwork skills I should do headers.
                  I meant soldiers....oops..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I took a shot with google sketchup. Not so good on my part but it is a picture...sort of.

anyway, I agree, the right looks better.

Dave
                    Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

You're a genius thanks so much for that. I will definitely 100% do the right side after seeing that pic.
                      :

Comment

That was cool DaveW. I agree the one on the right.

Comment

Working...
                        X