X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me choose a colour for my arcs,, yes i think i am colour blind

Hi All,

This decision is playing on my mind.

My enclosure bricks are sandstock bricks from a Aus company by the name of PGH.

--> The first image is where i am up to.
    --> The second image is what i need to build
    --> The third picture also shows the type of opening arc i will do for the dome enterance

I've managed to gain some free (new) roof titles that are kinda dark .. like charcoal colour.

Do you think i should
    Keep using the same bricks?
    Buy a light colour blonde or cream smooth face brick?
    Buy a dark coloured smooth face brick?

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide your opinions. I'm soo indecisive.

Cheers,

Gummz

Re: Please help me choose a colour for my arcs,, yes i think i am colour blind

Stick with the red brick for the rest of the construction. But try to find a brick that will match or close to match the roof tiles and use that for the arches, just like your example oven uses the red brick to highlight the openings. This will tie everything together and accentuate the architectural detail of your oven.
    Last edited by Nic The Landscaper; 03-23-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic The Landscaper View Post
      Stick with the red brick for the rest of the construction. But try to find a brick that will match or close to match the roof tiles you got for the arches, just like you example oven uses the red brick to highlight the openings. This will tie everything together and accentuate the architectural detail of your oven.
      I agree with Nic

I note that you have what might be vermicrete as your insulator on the oven roof...Or, did you add more mass? Would you mind reporting your heating time to pizza cooking temperature when you finish the oven? thanks

Looks great!
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks Nic, I will look for bricks matching my roof tiles and see how they look.

At the moment i'm using "off white mortar",, say if i go a dark or mocha coloured brick, should i still keep the white colour for that area,,, go back to using grey,, or attempt to colour it?

Lburou, i was thinking of using fire blankets and the some loose vermiculite on top. This could change but i'll decide when i get up to that point. Yeap i will definitely report back on oven operation,,, just as everyone has helped me i will give back too

decisions ..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone got any thoughts about the side of the enclosure wall .. if i keep going up as it is would it look "boring"??? should i do a row of say dark bricks???

Cheers,

Gummz

Comment

The tiles i have are there (colour is called graphite)

Bristile Roofing - Concrete Roof Tiles, Terracotta Roof Tiles, Clay Roof Tiles (Australia)

I found two bricks
          colour graphite also .. but it looks lighter in colour?
          http://www.australbricks.com.au/nsw/...ricks/Elements

or "black beauty"
          Black Beauty, Escura Dry Pressed

sorry for being an arse, but i cant seem to make good decisions when it comes to colours and matching

Comment

Went with the black beauties,,, we'll see how they look once i put them up

Comment

Youll have to excuse my ignorance, but arent you rendering the outer oven?
              If not, why have you got so much dry mortar on the bricks, you should have been cleaning as you go.?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Brickie,

Nope i will probably not render the out side of the oven, i don't want to spend any more $.

Yeap i should have cleaned as i went but didn't. I'm hoping i can clean it all up once i'm done.

Any tips??? Maybe an acid wash after its all done?

I've been watching the progress of your oven, you've already got it up to 600Deg,

Brickie did you put any cement cladding around your vault? and what insulation besides vermiculite did you put?

Cheers,

Gummz

Comment

Hi Gummz.
                  You can try acid but the way the mortar has been ground into the face of the brick I doubt youd get if off without damaging the bricks.

I only put 1" blanket around the oven and the sides will have 4" of vermiculite while the top will have lots more.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    Hi Gummz.
                    You can try acid but the way the mortar has been ground into the face of the brick I doubt youd get if off without damaging the bricks.
                    Hi All,
                    I have no masonry skills or knowledge, except for this forum (which makes me very dangerous at best!) What technique, tools, materials are used to clean off the mortar as you are building the dome. I do realize that the best technique is not to get mortar on surfaces you don't want it on! Duh, and a big red truck! But I know my skills are lacking and will hopefully make up for the lack of skill with elbow grease. Any advice is always appreciated!
                    Thanks in Advance
                    John
                    Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                    Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                    Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Gummz, Great choice on brick type, at this point keep going with the messy mortar, keep it consistent, don't try to fix it with acid, and just call it 'old world' people will eat it up! in architecture school, one of our first lessons was, if it isn't going the direction you want it to go, just change direction, embrace it, and say that is the way it is supposed to be, and no one will question you.

Aegis, use clean water, a nylon bristle brush, and a sponge to remove excess mortar, while it is still workable. If it is 24 hours or less hard, a brass bristle brush will remove the mortar. Much past 24 hours and it'll take a lot of work.

Comment

Working...
                      X