Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosmetic Arch

Hello All,

We just finished our second oven, this one is a Pompeii 36" with a frame/stucco enclosure. I went with the angle iron transition so the entrance has a squarish appearance. An arch at the front would give the oven a classic look.

The front of the enclosure is Hardybacker covered with stucco and my question is how to build the arch. Is it proper to mortar the arch to the stucco face of the enclosure or allow it to stand freely with just the mortar bond between the bricks. Is it necessary to fasten the arch to the enclosure with wire or metal tabs?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Re: Cosmetic Arch

Id use stainless tabs to keep it in place otherwise it may tend to fall over.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi brickie,

How many tabs would I need, 2-3 on each side, starting near the middle, then near the top?

Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

3 would be plenty, 1 each side half way up and 1 near the top, this will stop it from falling if ever it decides to.

Or gets knocked with an enthusiastic peel.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hello Brickie,

Thank you for the advice. I have an idea on how to proceed now. Stainless steel strips are not common at our local merchants but I was able to find some metal from a discarded appliance that I can cut to size.

Activity in front of the oven is often hectic as the pizzas need to be rotated and shuffled around. Elbows, peels and long handles are a hazard to gawking bystanders. I've thought about placing a sign, "Stay back 500 ft" but it may do little good. The allure of a wfo and the aroma of pizza is too much. None the less, I'm sure the arch will stay in place.

Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Hello Brickie and all,

I built the arch yesterday and it came out better than expected. Only a little trimming and adjustment to a few bricks was needed to make the bricks and keystone meet with a tight fit. I'll point in a little mortar around the voids behind the arch tomorrow and call it "good'. Thanks for your advice. Photos of the build to follow in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by azpizzanut View Post
              Hi brickie,

How many tabs would I need, 2-3 on each side, starting near the middle, then near the top?

Cheers,
              Check with a mason where he is laying bricks on a new house....They have them by the box full....
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by azpizzanut View Post
                Photos of the build to follow in the next few weeks.
                Do you have to get the filum developed.......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I was thinking we shouldn't give any more info until he puts up some pics!! (kidding) (Oh, and a personal plea for them not being on mobile photo bucket! )
                  My oven (for now):
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Hello Tman1, All,

Look in the "Finished Ovens" section for a photo of Archie.

It is raining today. I want to go out between showers to make sure no rain is getting inside. A coat of paint during the coming week will complete the major work on this project. I've decided on a simple tile motif for the minimal landing. Next project will be a block stand for a workstation on an existing slab to the left side of the oven.

I'm going to try to post a close-up pic of the arch and attach it to this reply. First time for that photo stuff.
                    Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X