Oven height and prep area surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven height and prep area surface

We're in the final phases of selecting the contractor to build our oven. Now a few questions have come up and I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who have been through the process and have been using your ovens.

We have a small back yard, so we will have a base of about 6 to 7 feet to serve as the base for the oven and a prep area with door underneath it for equipment.. I've seen designs where the oven base is higher and I assume that is for easier access to the oven opening. I've also seen designs where the base is the same all the way across. Any recommendations as to whether to build a two level base or not? (We will have an arched opening under the oven to store small amounts of wood. We keep a half cord of wood in the garage.)

Also, I'm trying to decide on what type of surface for the prep area. Lueder stone is a well-known type of limestone from Texas and several contractors recommend it for the top. One said it can be sealed so that food can be prepared directly on top. Other options would be granite or engineered quartz, but those won't be as rustic looking as the Oklahoma red/brown stone base.

The over is in the open on a side of the yard in a slightly shaded spot.

Thanks so much for any advice.
Working...
X