Preventing scorch marks or making them cleanable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing scorch marks or making them cleanable

I am starting to think about the finish for my cob oven that I covered over in perlcrete. We've used it a few times and its down the typical thing; out the front it's sending burn marks up and the flue is got a lot of soot and general scorch marks around it too. I've seen a lot of pictures of dome ovens with that happening. I wondered if there was something I can do about it in the finish, or if I'll have to just embrace it and make it part of the architecture somehow.

Re: Preventing scorch marks or making them cleanable

I think scorch marks add character to the oven. I like them on my oven.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
      I think scorch marks add character to the oven. I like them on my oven.
      I'm with George, but can see from many of the photos here that people have worked much harder on presentation than I have, so there should be a way to keep them pristine. I'm surprised no-one has posted an answer.

...Gef

Comment

After 4 yrs I have learned to live with a bit of soot. Like many, my smoke problem is only prevelent upon start up (or if using wet wood, poplar, and whats known as swamp oak down here). Every 6 months or so the soot builds up to the point of being unsightly. I just mix a bit of TSP with hot water and brush my outer entry and wipe with a sponge.(the real stuff, not the "green" TSP substitue crap)

RT

Comment

Although it is very difficult to avoid smoke out the front on start up I have noticed bad smoke stains on ovens that either have inadequate flue size or the gallery to the flue pipe is not funnelled well or at all.The top down method produces very little smoke at start up. Using decorative tiles around the entry, providing they are glossy, is a way around the problem because they clean up really easily with damp newspaper. You need to use a black grout because you'll never get a light coloured grout clean.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

+1 for black grout and a non-porous finish material around the opening. I have a glass mosaic that looks as good as new after a wipe down.
            I also agree that soot is part of the character of a WFO, but understand it might not be the look for everyone...

Comment

Working...
            X