Stucco exterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco exterior

I'd like to do the enclosure around the oven in stucco but with square sides and angled surfaces from the sides, narrowing to the chimney. Does anyone have any guidance or videos or books on how to use metal studs and cement board for the structure for the stucco?

Re: Stucco exterior

Hi PaulB,

Look at my construction photos to get some ideas. There are lots of photos in the FB site of people using steel studs for their enclosures, but no instructions. It is pretty easy to do. You'll need a hammer drill and some TapCon screws and 1/4" washers to hold the studs to the concrete slab. Self-tapping 1/2" screws are available for the steel studs. I used cement board for the sides and the special, coated, self-countersinking, screws made for them. In some ways using steel studs is easier than using wood. You can snip and bend parts to shape then fasten them with screws. Make a mistake....... it's easy to remove the parts and re-do.

On the bottom slab I screwed down pressure treated 2" x 4" then fastened the bottom steel track to it as a way to keep the metal away from moisture.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Thanks Bob. Can you use a regular drill for the screws used to attach the cement board to the studs? Do you drill a hole for them first? You said you can snip them. Do you mean with regular tin snips?

Thanks,
      Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

Yes, a regular drill. I used a battery powered drill that has a clutch chuck so it wouldn't strip the metal.

Yes, tin snips. Measure twice and mark your cuts with a felt-tip pen. I did find it useful to drill a pilot hole when placing screws close to the edge of the cement board because it will crack or chip out if you over tighten the screw. I'm such a perfectionist.....I even used a countersink bit in some areas. For the most part though the coated screws go in flush and rarely needed a re-do. They come with a square-drive bit. You're going to cover them with stucco so it isn't a big deal if they don't seat flat. If you do crack or chip the cement board then place a mesh patch over that area prior to stucco. The mesh comes on a roll, 2" wide.

One thing you shouldn't give up on is the hammer drill. It made drilling the anchor holes go fast and easy. I was lucky to have a long extension cord for it. Buy an extra concrete drill or two to save having to run to the store to buy one at the last minute. My cheap hammer drill cost less than $20 at a discount tool store.

BTW, a nice thing about using the steel studs is that you can easily install two, side by side, in areas where you need a place to drive a screw to hold smaller pieces of cement board or reinforce a piece that cracked. Just cut and bend tabs to join stud to stud or stud to track with the self tapping screws. As long as you have the stud backing the board you can make it solid. They don't even have to be in a vertical or horizontal plane. You're not placing rolled insulation between them so no need to hold to conventional thinking when using them. You won't believe how strong the structure gets after you've screwed on a few panels of cement board.

More later, after I find a few posts about steel studs and cement board.

Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

Hi Paul,

Yes, a regular drill. I used a battery powered drill that has a clutch chuck so it wouldn't strip the metal.

Yes, tin snips. Measure twice and mark your cuts with a felt-tip pen. I did find it useful to drill a pilot hole when placing screws close to the edge of the cement board because it will crack or chip out if you over tighten the screw. I'm such a perfectionist.....I even used a countersink bit in some areas. For the most part though the coated screws go in flush and rarely needed a re-do. They come with a square-drive bit. You're going to cover them with stucco so it isn't a big deal if they don't seat flat. If you do crack or chip the cement board then place a mesh patch over that area prior to stucco. The mesh comes on a roll, 2" wide.

One thing you shouldn't give up on is the hammer drill. It made drilling the anchor holes go fast and easy. I was lucky to have a long extension cord for it. Buy an extra concrete drill or two to save having to run to the store to buy one at the last minute. My cheap hammer drill cost less than $20 at a discount tool store.

BTW, a nice thing about using the steel studs is that you can easily install two, side by side, in areas where you need a place to drive a screw to hold smaller pieces of cement board or reinforce a piece that cracked. Just cut and bend tabs to join stud to stud or stud to track with the self tapping screws. As long as you have the stud backing the board you can make it solid. They don't even have to be in a vertical or horizontal plane. You're not placing rolled insulation between them so no need to hold to conventional thinking when using them. You won't believe how strong the structure gets after you've screwed on a few panels of cement board.

Look for useful information in posts # 82, 83 & 85 of Cdubs Casa90 build.

Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

That is a huge help. Thanks a lot. I'd love to see photos.

Paul

Comment

Bob,

I don't suppose you have experience with or an idea for what kind of hook I would need to put in the cement board to hang my tools, do you?

Also, I'm new to this forum and your last post has references to specific posts. How do I find them. I used the search field at the top of the forum page but that just brought be back to the same page. (Those references weren't in the email copy of your post that I received either. Who added them?)

Paul

Comment

Hi PaulB,

I wouldn't put a hook in cement board except for very small items. It is better to hang a rack or sturdy holder between studs and mount through the cement board to the stud or studs. This might be a good opportunity to place a steel stud just for the purpose of hanging a rack.

Here is a link to the posts I mentioned. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/ca...tml#post112558 I knew where to look on my profile for previous posts.

Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Thanks again Bob. Good advice.

Paul

Comment

Bob,

I have another question but I sent it in a message to your Inbox. Maybe I should have posted it here?

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul,

I responded with my email address.

Cheers,
                      Bob

Comment

Paul,

It is best follow the Pompeii plans as written for best hearth/slab results. Perfect results and you can use various types of insulation and combinations. I used Perlcrete and a top layer of ceramic board to assure a level surface for the hearth bricks.

My opinion about chimney dampers is that you don't need one. You can use a properly designed door to retain heat and a modified "door" placed at the entrance to control draft.

I like a chimney cap with spark screen. They look cool and it gives a nice finishing touch to the oven. My Pompeii has a cap but my first oven doesn't. I've been trying to locate an oval shaped cap for it since the chimney pipe is also oval.

Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X