Scheming to finish oven as a giant goldfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheming to finish oven as a giant goldfish

I did some of the math and the first idea for how to finish off the oven would have been too big (particularly too tall). So we decided here to instead do something like a bugeyed goldfish. My oven goes a lot taller than most since I wanted to easily be able to move dutch ovens and stuff like that in and out of it; I plan to use it for most of my summer baking so I don't heat up the house.

I am going to try to do the bug eye effect by pouring some concrete into some big bowls (parchment-paper lining) with some cardboard wrapped around it to extend up up a bit. I got some nails curing inside it that hope will help mount it to the current perlcrete exterior while it gets glued together some more more perlcrete. Assuming that works, I am trying to figure out how to finish it.

I want it to be painted, glossy and as waterproof as possible. It looks like something like acrylic stucco would be involved with this as well as some curing coat at the very end. I am trying to figure out how I'd get all the detailing in there. I want to paint the fish orange, and color the eyes as well, along with getting the belly mostly white. I figure it would involve spraypaint or something. When could I do that in the process and how do I get that to stay put over time? Also, is there anything I should do between the current perlcrete exterior and the acrylic stucco application (other than lath)?

Re: Scheming to finish oven as a giant goldfish

I have the basic shape in place covered with:

1. Metal lath
    2. Scratch coat of stucco
    3. Acrylic stucco over that

It's now a big white blob with eyes. It looks like the oven still had some moisture in it because only in my most recent firing did I actually get the inside to clear. So I have some time to figure this stuff out after a few more firings. But still, waiting on advice on how to color this thing up.

Comment

Would love to see pics!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
        Would love to see pics!
        +1!! Sounds like fun!
        CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Well here's what it looks like right now:

So how do I paint it and protect the paint?

Comment

Anybody? What's a good paint I can use there so that char mustache can wash out if I wanted it to?

Hmm for that matter, any advice on putting a door on that? I kind of messed up and didn't enough of a lip to mount a door hinge or anything, so I think I'd have to stuff it right in there.

Comment

It looks cool. I think any paint designed for outdoor stucco application would work. I would get a gloss for easier clean up. The home stores carry stucco paint.

Most of us have "plug" type doors that slide in the door frame. Build something like that and you are good to go!
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
              X