help please on insulation uncertinties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please on insulation uncertinties

As shown, the insulation is in place and I am wondering if it is OK to not have any insulation on the outsides of the entrance arch as shown.

I will be facing the very front of entrance arch with split firebrick and a one inch thick application of stucco over the mesh that is now in place. If the entrance gets a bit warm on the outside I am ok with that but not sure what to expect as to how warm it will get. The top of arch is insulated just not the sides.

Any thoughts out there???thanks Wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: help please on insulation uncertinties

Unless you buy super flexible stucco i'm thinking you may get some cracks..

Guessing you ran out of blanket? Why not buy more and finish it off and have extra on the dome.. better more than not enough..

Comment

You are trying to keep the heat in the dome. The entry doesn't matter so much, but some insulation between the sides of the entry and the outside stucco will provide some cushioning to lessen cracks in the outer shell. If you don't want to go to the expense of more blanket, some 10:1 vermicrete will do the trick.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for input so far folks. I have more insulation but was hoping to leave it like this because my decorative facing brickwork on the very front is only 9 inches across the same as the thickness of the brickwork on the sides of structure arch. So if I put one inch of insulation there my stucco will look a bit different that I had hoped.
        Something just occured to me, I will be heating and curing the oven this week before I stucco anyways so I will get a good feel for heat that escapes to the outer edges of this arch area during this time. If its get too hot then I can put more insulation and mesh on the arch area and change my plans somewhat on how the stucco will transition to the Decorative Brick work on the front of the oven.
        In retrospect what I should have done was made the whole arch 8 inches thick instead of 9 inches so one inch of insulation could slip in there and come flush to my decorative facing brick work. Hope this makes sense. Still interested in what others may think about how much heat is too much heat under that stucco. I have an temp reader to get some readings on the areas in question while I am curing the oven so I will post them later in the week............
        Picture attached shows how my Decorative work will look.
        .thanks again Wayne
        Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

Working...
        X