Finishing Tile - Primavera 70 Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Tile - Primavera 70 Oven

I built a traditional base slab+cinder block+hearth slab base for my Primavera 70 oven (to be delivered on Thursday).

Now that all the heavy building and mixing is done, I'm finally beginning to think about covering the cinder block, and possibly tiling the concrete upper-slab.

I'm banking on installing the tiles after the oven is placed on the upper slab. Will the expansion of the oven cause the tiles to crack? Is there a way to prevent it (I can't imagine something like silicone caulk is good as an expansion buffer for this application)?

Are there any things a novice like myself should be aware of when undertaking this outdoor tile finishing project?

Has anyone built their own similar stand for a Primavera model?

Any experience, or advice is appreciated.

Re: Finishing Tile - Primavera 70 Oven

Since I'm sweating this one a little, I'll try re-phrasing --

Can I tile something like this (example below) after the oven is placed on the concrete slab, or should the tile be applied on the cement first, then the oven placed on top? Or does it not matter? I just worry that the oven expands and cracks the tile (if the tile is cut to essentially frame the round oven).

Comment

I think most of the expansion occurs in the oven dome itself, not the exterior render like in the photo above. I would lay the tile after the oven enclosure is in place and fill the small gap between the tile and oven with outdoor caulk.

Comment

Just keep a few extra sheets of tile handy in case you need them down the road.

Comment

Thanks to you both. It makes sense that the internal expansion would be buffered by the oven's insulation. I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
          X