Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish to hearth landing

Hello,
    I would like to finish my 12 inch landing and 18 inch side cantalevered hearth extension in a frost proof product. Are there good tile choices or would I be better off with Granite or Terrazzo finish ?
    Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Finish to hearth landing

I would think the granite would be the best choice knowing some of its capabilities. Tiles would have joints and leave too many spots that could fail in my opinion.
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Originally posted by DocHop View Post
      Hello,
      I would like to finish my 12 inch landing and 18 inch side cantalevered hearth extension in a frost proof product. Are there good tile choices or would I be better off with Granite or Terrazzo finish ?
      Thanks,
      Peter
      As a concrete pool owner here in Minneapolis, MN land of -30 F in winter I can say the only tile I would use in the frost belt is a Porcelain mosaic tile and I highly recommend adding acrylic concrete additive to your thin-set and grout. I used it as a full strength mix with and it seems to hold up well.

HD sells this -- SikaLatex 1-Gallon Concrete Bonding Adhesive and Acrylic Fortifier

My tiles stay put on my pool walls with little problems and they see temps from +105F to -35F; a 140 F temp swing is severe in any book.

I have a cantilever on my oven base and will be putting tiles on the vertical face of it and plan to use the above mentioned additive.

Chip
      Last edited by mrchipster; 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM.
      Chip

Comment

Tman1 and mrchipster,
        Thanks for your prompt responses. After spending some at the local Tile place i think I will stick with granite or terrazzo on the horizontal surfaces. Local granite supply says 60.00/sq foot cash and carry from remnant stock. Terrazzo still offers more creative application but alot of work finishing etc. Found some nice porcelain ceramic tiles for vertical accents on enclosure.
        Cheers,
        Peter

Comment

Working...
        X