Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrazzo recipe ??

Hello,
    Has anyone applied terrazzo to hearth and landing areas ? Any input, tips or tricks to evaluate its use in the almost Great White North ?
    Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Terrazzo recipe ??

Are you sure you are looking for Terrazzo? Terrazzo is extremely expensive and requires highly specialized tools to install in a commercial environment. I've never heard of anyone doing it as a DIY project. Biggest issue to me would be grinding it. When they install Terrazzo in a building(I work in the trades and have seen it many times) they first install a grid system made out of metal. They then fill it with small rocks and some sort of epoxy. Once that sets up they then grind it level with the grid with a specialized grinding machine that rides along the grid. Grinding it by hand I just don't see how you would get the finish one expects of Terrazzo, but I could be wrong and there may be a DIY way to do it.

Comment

Shuboyje,
      Yeah I have seen it as well. I am suprised no one has attempted it. I'll post photos if I decide to proceed.
      Thanks,
      Peter

Comment

Real terrazzo is just cement and aggregates. It is no different than concrete countertops, the dif is the aggregate type and the amount of grinding.

Comment

Tscarbourough,
          Yeah I was thinking white Portland cement/marble chips with added color then seeding top with some glass remnants. I'll need to rent a roller and polishers with a series of different grits to polish everthing back...should be nice
          Peter

Comment

As a rule, it is easier to get the terrazzo look on a countertop by pouring it upside down in a mold. This eliminates 99.9 percent of the grinding.

Comment

Yeah...guess it will be easier to grind than turn the hearth upside down !

Comment

It would be a breeze to do with this machine.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah....I have been looking at similar items with the same price point. I do not mind a little effort to get the final result. I like the idea of making a design which reflects our desires. The website Sponsored Listings has some intersting glass products..but could break up beer and wine bottles after dispensing with the contents.

Comment

Ive seen some nice tops with brass and stainless steel filings in them.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Can't wait to customize the result...just has to be frost proof however !

Comment

Working...
                      X