Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finishing a steel chimney? cement board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing a steel chimney? cement board?

can anyone provide info on finishing the steel chimney on my Casa 2g90? I'm thinking of using cement board to close in the chimney then stucco the cement board?

I dont have any info on how this is done, e.g. is there some underlying structure needed to hold up the cement board?

thanks!

Ben

(cross post in Modular Oven thread... sorry I didnt know about this thread initially)

Re: finishing a steel chimney? cement board?

I am about at the same point, thouhg I plan to put on a brick veneer over the cement board. Anyone out there have any advice?

Comment

Also, I am in an area of the country that obvioulsy gets some tough winter weather, and am trying to put the best affordable mortar over the outside to attach stone veneer. Laticrete mortar mix made to do this to cover 80 square feet is billed at $1770.00, but comes with a 25 year warranty. Too pricey for me....I would like some opinions on the type of mortar to use (S, N, with latex bonding agent?). It is going over Durock concrete board....

Comment

anyone with pointers??

Comment

I'm at that point now.... no one??

Comment

Hello SkinnyDoc,

You would use metal studs to frame the enclosure around the chimney -- much the way you would use metal studs to frame the enclosure around the oven.

That is a technique that is used frequently, and it looks very nice.

Thanks,
            Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by skinnydoc View Post
              can anyone provide info on finishing the steel chimney on my Casa 2g90? I'm thinking of using cement board to close in the chimney then stucco the cement board?

I dont have any info on how this is done, e.g. is there some underlying structure needed to hold up the cement board?

thanks!

Ben

(cross post in Modular Oven thread... sorry I didnt know about this thread initially)
              What about using a clay pipe/chimney to go over the steel pipe, with some insulating blanket in between? That's assuming you can find one the right size/length. Otherwise get the steel pipe cut down to fit.

Comment

thanks all...

I ended up doing it with the typical 2.5" steel studs, just making it up, as usual!

I'll post some pics soon...

Ben

Comment

Hey Skinnydoc,

I am at the point you were last year with your oven. I am planning on putting stone veneer over cement board and concrete blocks. Did you wrap your pizza oven in a WPB (water proof barrier), then wire lath then scrach coat then the veneer?

Or did you just mortor it straigh onto the cemebt board?
                  Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

I just mortared right onto the cement board. I did however research what type of mortar to use, and found mortar that was meant for use externaly, over cement board and was supposed to be able to withstand the temperature changes (freeze/thaw cycle) found in Nebraska. So far, it has worked just fine wiht no visible impact form weather or oven use. I also filled the vacant cavity around the insulated dome (dome wrapped with provided insulation blanket) with vermiculite loose fill attic insualtion. I found both the mortar and vermiculite insulation at Mennards home improvement store. I also found the mortar at a tile supply house in bulk for less money and it was not a special order.

Comment

Working...
                    X