Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Stone enclosure

OK

I am having one of those wanting to do something completely different. I was thinking (a dangerous thing to do) about making a field stone enclosure. The question is, what is the best way to do so? I was considering a slip form to do it.

Anyone else who has done so?

Yeah, I know, steel framing with lick and stick rock is lighter, but down here in the sunny southwest, the fakey rocks sometimes do not last as long as one would like.

CW
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Re: Field Stone enclosure

Chris

I built my Beehive shaped oven out of rather large glacial till field stone boulders because they were readily available in my area. I did not use a form but laid the boulders directly on the cladding insulation over the dome.

I did have to build a large strong A-frame and insert a strong piece of lumber into the top with the other end resting on the dome and having a track for a small platform on wheels. A hoist was placed on top of the platform and used to lift the boulders from the ground level and then raise it to the desired level, slide it over and lower it in place.
    Fred Di Napoli

Comment

Chris:

What kind of rock will you be using--we're not exactly in New England and the fields don't produce nice rocks for us. River rock, native flagstone, broken pit boulders, granite crap you find out in the desert? I think your material may dictate your building method. Flagstone you'll definitely need a slipform, unless you're stacking it on the long side. For river rock and rough rocks I think you could probably freehand it, or use some backer board as a guide.

I've been kicking around finish ideas, too, since the lick-and-stick rock can be upwards of $9 a foot. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Comment

Pictures of the rock would help..
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Chris - My enclosure is based on the Anaheim build from this site. Even though I'm using the steel, lick, stick method for the upper part, it seems the builders of the Anaheim project used real field stone. I'm sorry I don't know how to paste the picture, but if you click the "photo gallery", then enclosures, then click the last page, the final 2 pictures show what seems to be a concrete pour for the sloped part of the enclosure. Hope this helps. Good luck!
          Leigh

Comment

Working...
          X