Soot staining the dome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soot staining the dome.

Didn?t see this coming. As you can see in the photo?s, my flue cap is giving me grief in regards to the soot getting on the dome when it rains. The circular vertical wind guard is causing the problem. The rain washes off the soot from the guard onto the dome and stains the dome. Apart from the obvious fix of getting rid of the guard which I?d prefer not to do, does any else have this problem or solution.

Regards,

Mick

Re: Soot staining the dome.

Short of a new cap, you could cover it with a garbage bag to keep it dry between uses.....
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Gudday
      you might concider" bondall " sealer on the dome surface... it will stop the soot from penatrating the surface to deaply, and any on the surface washes off easily. No it doesn't gloss up the surface and doesn't change the colour... its clear

Regards dave

PS yes you can get it at Bunnings
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

It wouldn't worry me, I can barely see it.

Comment

You could make a shallow conical china hat that has a wider diameter than your existing cowl. It would prevent the rain from washing the soot off, but may be as much trouble to fit as replacing the whole thing with a new one. Like a new car, after the first scratch it's not new anymore and you just don't worry about it. That's why I like old cars, you never have to wash them or worry about preserving their newness.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi
            I use a tin can of the required diameter over the exhaust on a diesel pump engine. Just re move when you light up. If I forget the diesel pelts it at me but I'm sorta trained now!

Dave Ly

Comment

Hi guys,

This is one of the reasons I love this forum, people offer their ideas which spur me into thinking what I can do. Think I?ll try putting something over the flue cap first and see how that goes. I?ve tried a plastic bag over it while I was building it to keep the rain off but I use it too regularly now and is hot to warm a lot of the time and will just melt the plastic. I might try to cover it with a bit of gal I?ve got lying about. If that doesn?t work then I?ll try using the Bondall sealer.

Thanks,

Mick

Comment

You can always paint/coat your oven dark grey or black. Mines black and looks great.

Comment

Already mentioned that to the wife. I could not talk her into it. Believe me I tried.

Mick

Comment

do a search for as many nice black colored ovens pics you can find and show her. If she sees how nice black looks she might reconsider. Another option is to stop cleaning it and it'll be an eye sore soon enough. If it looks ugly enough she might cave in and let you paint it.
                    If black is a definite NO then best you get rid of the current cowl and go Chinaman cowl instead.

Comment

Yeah, I would love to paint it black. If I leave it the way it is it will go black anyway. I?ll cover it up and see how it goes.

Mick

Comment

How about an old saucepan, that won't melt.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by mickyD View Post
                          Didn?t see this coming. As you can see in the photo?s, my flue cap is giving me grief in regards to the soot getting on the dome when it rains. The circular vertical wind guard is causing the problem. The rain washes off the soot from the guard onto the dome and stains the dome. Apart from the obvious fix of getting rid of the guard which I?d prefer not to do, does any else have this problem or solution.

Regards,

Mick
                          Maybe you could try covering the spot with something to keep it from rusting. If not, there are some smoke or soot sponges you can get from abatix.com at a reasonable price. Here's a link to one: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=ZEP563410&c atlist=871" Zephyr Smoke Sponges 3x6x3/4, Qty 96]

Comment

thanks for the helpful advise. I have since covered the oven. No more soot. Lol

Comment

Working...
                            X