Finish Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish Material?

My oven is built and ready for finishing but I am having trouble finding the right product to use for finishing the exterior of the oven and the support stand which is masonry block. I was thinking of using an acrylic stucco finish similar to what I used in the past for the exterior of a small building, but I am having trouble finding the product.

I am now thinking of just using standard stucco mix but I am hoping some of you can provide me with other options and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Finish Material?

I use sand, lime, cement 4:1:1 the high lime content gives it some elasticity. If doing subsequent coats each coat should have a higher lime content, but I usually do just one, about 15mm thick.
    Last edited by david s; 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David. Is it possible to tint the mixture and if so what do I use?

Comment

Yes you can colour the mixture by adding a coloring oxide, but you will need lots and it will be therefore expensive. I prefer to waterproof and then paint the outside of the dome with acrylic house paint, but make sure it is really dry before doing so (maybe after 10 decent cooking fires). The exterior of the dome gets pretty dirty from use, weather and bits of soot falling onto it from the top of the flue, so it's easier just to give it a fresh coat of paint every 12 months or so.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Just google Dryvit - Oregon. You didn't list your city or I would have given you your distributor.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I was pursuing Dryvit but when I talked to the distributor today I was told that they would not sell their product to me because I am not a certified installer. Dryvit would be my preference. I am in Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by lhuhn View Post
              I was told that they would not sell their product to me because I am not a certified installer.
              Seriously? I had no problem in Reno. I am not a certified installer but at time I am certifiable I haven't checked, but can you buy their products on line?
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Ya, I'm serious. They wanted to put me in touch with an installer but I will find another option before I do that.

Nicely done oven by the way.

Comment

Trying to figure out what would be best to re-cover a dirty dome on a mobile oven with a few small cracks that we patched. I was thinking stucco but I stumbled upon this Dryvit suggestion and would like to know more about why you recommend it.

Did a little research and there is a dealer near by and could have a contractor friend pick it up for us. But I'm wondering how cost effective is it? Is it really that much better than just traditional stucco? Is it as easy to apply?

Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

If you use a material like Dryvit and it goes wrong, you are SOL unless you are a certified installer. Some distributors will not sell to DYI, some will. I sell it to the public, but they are on their own for any problems no matter what they are.

That said, you should probably use an elastomeric product.

Comment

We do events and our mobile oven starts to warm up on the exterior after 5-6 hours use. Doesn't get extremely hot but by six hours it is I'd guess around 300F. I like the idea for the nice look of the elastomeric products or acrylic stucco but I'm wondering will can they take some heat or is it best to just go with the sand, lime, cement 4:1:1 mixture?
                      Last edited by EIPizza; 06-02-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

If it gets that hot, I would be reluctant to use an acrylic stucco finish on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X