Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duravent Anchor Plate - Gasket required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duravent Anchor Plate - Gasket required?

I completed the flue on my oven today, and need some guidance on how to install the Duravent Anchor plate.

I have the plate mounted on a flat 12 x 12 square of firebrick splits with a (roughly) round 8" cutout for the chimney. The fit is pretty good.

I was planning to screw the plate to the firebrick using Tap-cons. I couldn't find stainless so am going with the blue ones.

But do I need a gasket, or any sort of caulk under the anchor plate? Or is it ok to screw it straight to the brick?
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Duravent Anchor Plate - Gasket required?

I used the Selkirk SuperPro pipe and mounting plate. They recommend putting a 1/2" bed of refractory mortar under the plate (I used Heatstop 50); then you torque the fasteners until you get a small amount of squeeze-out, so you know there aren't any gaps. I left the raised bead of squeezed-out mortar in place around the plate as extra protection against leaks.

Comment

I used the Duravent plate and screwed it with tapcons,using a bead of Heastop 50 as the gasget in between.

RT

Comment

Two votes for mortar. thanks guys.

In the interim I dug out the (rather generic) install instructions from Duravent, and they suggest high heat caulk. I think that would probably not last given the heat from a WFO. But I do have refractory caulk on order to use for my heat break and may try that. I'll see what the texture looks like and go with either that or the mortar.

To be honest, afte getting this far with the oven, I am really tired of mortar
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
        X