Countertop design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countertop design

I am a bit confused about how to get the counter in front of my oven the right height.

I want to pour a concrete countertop in front of my oven that is the same height as the oven floor. But I have 3 inches of insulating board + 2.5 inches of brick on my hearth, so the counters have to be 5.5 inches higher than the hearth - and I don't want counters that are 5.5 inches thick!

What do people use to build up the area in front of the oven? Should I do another concrete pour? maybe build up the area with concrete bricks?

suggestions?
    Last edited by deejayoh; 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: clarification
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Countertop design

Oven floor height and countertop height are not generally the same. Countertop height is 36-38" and ovens seem to run around 40-44".

I made a watertable at countertop height for continuity on my oven (the light band below the entry slab in my profile pic).
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 06-16-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I am probably using the wrong term - what I mean is the counter space in front of the oven. I know that people either make it the same height as their oven floor or slightly lower. I want to make it the same height, but am wondering how people do this w/o having a 5 inch thick concrete pour. I want at most a 3" thick pour.

I should probably do a sketchup to show what I mean.
      Last edited by deejayoh; 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM.
      My build progress

Comment

The upper surface is the limiting factor, the depth is strictly a design choice. I do not understand the issue.

Comment

I think to FB term you are looking for is "landing". Gulf made some amazing exposed aggregate corbels which said will support a poured concrete landing. Check it out.
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...tml#post128271
          dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
          sigpic

Comment

Landing! yes, that's what I meant. Attached picture should help. I followed the Pompeii directions for hearth sizing, which means I left ~12" in front of the vent for a landing/counter. I want the finished landing to be at the same level as the oven floor. I don't need any corbels, but I agree those are amazing.

Ultimately, I want to have my landing look like Smuth's in the second picture, which doesn't look like it's 5 1/2 inches thick. I think I will just build the form so that the bottom 2 1/2 inches are flush with the edge of the hearth, and top 3 inches have an overhang - and do a single concrete pour. Thicker pour has less chance of cracking.
            Last edited by deejayoh; 06-17-2012, 03:52 PM.
            My build progress

Comment

My 'landing' is granite countertop. Granite is strong, stain resistant, fireproof, and washable. These are usually 3/4" thick with a border so they look 1 1/2".

I had some concrete pavers left over, so I embedded them in mortar. Bricks or 4" (actually 3 1/2") concrete blocks on their side would work just as well. I figured a small concrete pour would have been too much of a pain, After that set up I mixed up some 'thin set', which mortar for floor tiles. It is really gooey and I made it nice and thick. I laid down a good bed of that and lowered my granite on top. Because the thinset is gooey it gives you a fair bit of leeway to level the counter top. You an even lift a little if you have to. Anyhow, once everything was the way I wanted it, I put a few wood shims just to encourage it to stay put.

I am replacing all the window landings in my house with granite and this is the technique I've found works the best (I don't need pavers for the windows).

Comment

Looking at Smuth's picture, I think he poured his structural slab, set his hearth and dome bricks, then filled in with vermicrete (or even concrete block) to a couple inches below the hearth, then poured a two-inch landing slab. The distance between his landing and the door under his slab is pretty big--i'd guess at least 16 inches--which suggests there's a lot of fillwork in that space.

Comment

Working...
                X