Stucco on Hardiboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stucco on Hardiboard

can someone please advise on the best practice for the type of mortar or mastic to use over the alkili resistant tape?

Comment

Generally, you trowel the mesh in as you apply the base coat of stucco.

Comment

Thanks Tscar. So apply the mesh tape, add the lathe, then the base coat of stucco? I was thinking i needed to mud the tape in similar to dry wall.

Comment

No, I am sorry I am confusing you and myself. For applying cementious stucco directly to hardibacker, embed the mesh in thinset on all joints, then apply one or two coats of stucco.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            No, I am sorry I am confusing you and myself. For applying cementious stucco directly to hardibacker, embed the mesh in thinset on all joints, then apply one or two coats of stucco.
            In addition to taping joints - I used a role of fiber mesh lath all the way around my enclosure. As part of the scratch. For what it's worth.

Comment

Thanks Tscar and Cheese. I am going to go the tape and mud, roof felt, lathe and three coat stucco method. With the freeze/thaw cycle here in Michigan, it seems like my best bet.

I have covered my roof with ice and water shield (HT) and am wondering if I can cover the hardiboard walls with it. I am concerned that the IWS in combo with the roof will make the building to tight?? The question for the walls is ICW or felt??

Comment

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I'd keep this on topic.
                Especially if Tscarborough sees this.

I have an enclosure that will have a portion of flat roof, that I plan to stucco and/or tile.
                I have Red Guard leftover from my shower build that I could use on that flat part - what's the opinion on that?

Am I better using Hardiebacker, Durock or another material on top of my steel framing?

Comment

Working...
                X