Exposed Hardiebacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposed Hardiebacker

I will soon have my 1/2" Hardiebacker completely up and the metal roof installed. If I am unable to get my brick and stone work done, winter is closing in fast, can I leave the cement board exposed or still tarp when I am not using the oven? Joints will be taped and finished with polymer modified thinset mortar. I was thinking of rolling on Redgard but some sites say not to leave that product exposed to the elements.

Thanks,

David

I also thought about stapling some 30lb roofing felt on the walls and removing it in the spring.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Re: Exposed Hardiebacker

Hardiebacker should be OK, I would not leave concrete board exposed though.

Comment

Although the Hardibacker won't be damaged by water, you might need to spend extra time this spring cleaning it prior to application of the thinset for the stonework. I'd put a tarp over it just to keep it a bit cleaner...you don't want the thinset peeling up as you apply it because of too much dirt or dust accumulated over the winter.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, Tscar.

Thanks, Mike.

If I do need to clean the hardiebacker in the spring could I used TSP like before painting or should I use a different product?

Thanks,

David
        "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

My understanding is that the thinset needs a clean, dust free Hardibacker surface to "get a grip". I would think TSP will work well, I'd just be sure to give the cleaned surface a good water rinse to make sure there are no TSP phosphate residues left before you start spreading thinset.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X