Tool storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool storage

Where are you storing your tools? Do you have a hook or a special slot designed into your oven enclosure?

A designer just asked me for ideas on how to store and hide the tools when they aren't being used.

Any ideas?
    James
    Last edited by james; 02-16-2007, 11:18 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Tool storage

James,

A few years ago, I worked on a kitchen reno. The homeowner had limited space for a pantry-like arrangement, but sorely needed the storage. Turns out that there are vertical storage units on sliders that pull out of a narrow opening between, say, a fridge and a wall. We got ours from Lee Valley Tools (in the hardware catalogue section of their web site), though doubtless there are other sources. Seems to me one of these could be easily adapted to hold pizza tools. It's a really slick setup, and I think they come in different sizes.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I saw the sliding storage unit when we were looking at alternatives for our new kitchen - very neat if you've got a spare section of wall with enough depth behind it.

In my planned outdoor kitchen area, I'll have a full length bench with the oven entrance in the middle, so I like the idea of a compartment above the dome, to the left of centre. The image below shows a similar setup, but in a different location. I'd like mine smaller if possible, so that it doesn't predominate too much. I'm planning to attach wall brackets to the inside face of the external brickwork, clear of the dome, lay some cement sheet on them as a 'floor' of the compartment, and box it up somehow before the roof goes on. The brickwork at the front face of the oven will have an opening / slot to put the utensils in by.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

I've got a little shed over the oven. (Actually, I will be moving it next to the oven, so I can cover the dining area, not the oven, which really doesn't need it's own cover.)

I plan to hang the peel, brush, etc. from the joists.

-Chris-
        I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
        Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

I have peel hangers mounted on the side of the oven. I keep the peels there when the weather's nice.

I'm planning to build a mobile tool storage cart/dough pressing work surface. When I do so, all my problems will be solved.
          There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

As an addendum to my post of 19 Feb 2007 regarding a tool storage slot, I need to know how long these instruments typically are so that I can make a suitable sized receptacle for my pizza peel and other tools.

At the end of the day, I wonder if the depth of my oven enclosure will be long enough to accommodate my equipment? Obviously I will need some length sticking out to grab them by, but three feet would look a bit silly! So how long are yours?

Also (without the benefit of experience), is it advisable to have a rack or somewhere to put these utensils while in use, as well as a separate place for storage?

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Paul,

I guess the general rule of thumb for oven tools would be somewhere in the range of the depth of your cooking floor plus about a foot or so. You don't want your hands or forearms too close to the oven mouth for obvious reasons. Originally, I went with the depth of my hearth (4 feet), plus 2 feet, for my wooden peels but this makes for unwieldy tool length. I made them myselft, and I'm considering cutting them down a bit, although I'd stick with the 2 foot additional for the ash rake, because you have to reach way to the back.

I'm going to have a rack built by a blacksmith to hold my tools: three peels, brush, ash rake, swab, poker, so I can organize them next to the oven and keep them off the foundation, expecially in wet weather. In winter, I store the wooden bits on an enclosed porch to keep them out of the snow.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I'm resurrecting this old thread because of what happened to my tool holder, which is just a length of square flue tile sitting on a piece of slate:

As you can see, I had to improvise with my brush: I tried the blowhard bellows idea, just a chest high piece of copper tube squeezed at the working end to about 3/16 wide in a vise. It works really well, no need for a bend, the blower pushes the floor ash either up the chimney or into the fire. It's actually a version of the old jewelers' blow pipe, an old way to get red heat from a simple flame
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Wow! Did it freeze before it had a chance to drain? That's friggen cold. I think it will be all good in about 5 months.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Yeah, it froze a little at the bottom, to keep it from leaking, then, sitting under the eves, it filled with water when the roof thawed, but not the ground. Another cold night/day and it was a solid block of ice.

It's been colder than it has been the past few winters here. They shoveled the river in front of the canoe club for skating last weekend. I can't remember the last time that happened.

You notice the english ivy is still green and happy. Kudzu of the north.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

With this resurrected thread, I though I would weigh in with a couple of pictures of how we ended up storing our tools.

The 'rustic' look works in our yard, so rustic it is... Left over bits of log are the primary parts to this storage rack; easily replaceable when they rot out or need updating.

And a report on how it functions? So far, I like the way it works. The tools could be a bit 'closer' to the oven, but with the way things lay out, they are close enough where they are. If we have a big gaggle of folks for a party, I might have to wade through a crowd to get to the peels, but mostly not an issue.

The cross bar is about five and a half feet off the ground.

JED

Comment

Very nice, I like it. That'll work...
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Good work Jed! I realy like the stone patio and, large hearth is a great place for freinds to gather and enjoy the goodies from your oven.
                          Cheers,

Comment

Hello everyone,

I've got an idea to store my tools in vinyl storage shed. Actually, I've done constructing garden storage shed and that was so cool.
                            I've been using vinyl storage sheds for 3 years.

Comment

Some 2 inch pvc, embedded in the patio. Cut some slits for drainage and filled the bottom 2 inches with pea gravel.

Comment

Working...
                              X