How hot does your door get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot does your door get?

I made a prototype insulated door. I sandwiched two pieces of delaminated INSBLOCK 19 between two pieces of 1/8 inch metal. When the oven is 675 F on the inside, the outside of the door is at 150 F and the points where the bolts were welded on it is about 10 degrees more (i.e. 160 F). Is this normal, better, or worse than everybody else? Pictures attached are of the door.

Kevin

Re: How hot does your door get?

My handles get pretty warm but I am able to move it with out hot pads, never measured the temp.

More importantly - you NEED to cover the insblock material. That nasty stuff is going to find it's way into your food
    Last edited by Les; 05-11-2013, 11:35 AM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My door temp is about the same as you are seeing. I have metal handles but they are never too hot to grab, same as Les.

I agree with Les' comment on covering the insblock. I welded a band of metal all the way around my door. It was kind of a pain but works well
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I'm all about welding a band around, that's why I called it a prototype. Just want to make sure the performance is what it should be, before I commit to welding the band. The material for the band is ~18 gauge. Too thick/thin? Any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
          I made a prototype insulated door. I sandwiched two pieces of delaminated INSBLOCK 19 between two pieces of 1/8 inch metal. When the oven is 675 F on the inside, the outside of the door is at 150 F and the points where the bolts were welded on it is about 10 degrees more (i.e. 160 F). Is this normal, better, or worse than everybody else? Pictures attached are of the door.

Kevin
          I have no experience here, but my thoughts are some type of gasket material such as found on most residential kitchen oven doors. This may help keep hot oven gases from escaping the oven and stop the transfer of any heat to the outside of the door.

I agree will Les and Dee about covering the nasty. I value their expertise and opinions and look forward to their response. I don't think one can weld aluminum to steel but possibly rivet it. I think aluminum would transfer less heat.
          Respectfully,

KB

My build
          Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I used 16 gauge steel. 18 gauge I think is a bit thin for the face/back - but maybe ok for the band except that given my welding skills, I'd be blowing holes through it everywhere

I didn't go with a gasket - as getting an exact enough fit for the door into the space is kind of tough. I have about 1/4" all the way around - but it's not totally even. I figure with the overlap of the face on the brick, it's a good enough seal.

IIRC, Aluminum is a much better heat conductor than steel. At the same gauge it will transfer more heat. Only material that could be worse is copper.
            Last edited by deejayoh; 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM.
            My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
              I used 16 gauge steel. 18 gauge I think is a bit thin for the face/back - but maybe ok for the band except that given my welding skills, I'd be blowing holes through it everywhere

I didn't go with a gasket - as getting an exact enough fit for the door into the space is kind of tough. I have about 1/4" all the way around - but it's not totally even. I figure with the overlap of the face on the brick, it's a good enough seal.

IIRC, Aluminum is a much better heat conductor than steel. At the same gauge it will transfer more heat. Only material that could be worse is copper.
              Thanks,
              Dee I learned something........I guess that's why aluminum is on the bottom of skillets.

I was figuring the gasket butting up against the reveal of the oven. The lip of the door with gasket fits up against the same reveal. The ?? you are speaking of, is this clearance around your door on the outer arch? I was assuming your lip was wider???. I was thinking of the band of aluminum and gasket being some type of heat break.

Thanks again Dee I value your experience and opinion.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

The handle on my oven door only just gets warm, Ive never know it to get hot.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Al, what about the actual face (outside) of the door?

Comment

Off hand I cant remember, its not hot I know that, next time I fire it up I will take a reading.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If exposed for long enough wouldn't the inner part of the door will end up the same temp as the inside of the oven regardless of the material (metal). The insulation in between the exposed metal and the back of the door should help shield that. It the back of the door is wood and is thick enough the outside surface should not get particularly hot.

At least that is how it should work IMHO. I have a very thick timber back on my door and it doesn't become hot enough to be an issue.

I was thinking of making a lighter door just to hold the heat when using the oven after the temp had dropped below 450 F. Most timber should handle that kind of temp shouldn't it?

Cheers ........... Steve
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Plenty of people have made charcoal out of wood facing on their doors. Process starts at about 425, if I am to believe wikipedia (which is admittedly, a risk)

"wood becomes brown at 220 ?C (428 ?F), a deep brown-black after some time at 280 ?C (536 ?F), and an easily powdered mass at 310 ?C (590 ?F).[4] Charcoal made at 300?C (572 ?F) is brown, soft and friable, and readily inflames at 380 ?C (716 ?F); made at higher temperatures it is hard and brittle, and does not fire until heated to about 700 ?C (1,292 ?F)."
                        My build progress

Comment

Gudday

Door Autoclaved airated cement block (tips section of the forum page 3)
                          Sorry doesn't look like that link worked anyway this is my door its made from a carved block of hebel cement with a wood face silasticed to the front.
                          The wood face and handles never get warm
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                          X