How to build chimney and outer arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build chimney and outer arch

Hi, I'm building from a kit ( http://www.pizzaovens4u.com/download...Stepbystep.pdf ) but I'm considering building my own chimney and arch from red brick rather than firebrick or the vermiculite structure supplied with the kit. Has anyone got plans for the outer arch and chimney structure ? And can anyone comment on my idea please ?
    Thank
    Richard

Re: How to build chimney and outer arch

Gudday
    I'm a big fan of brick chimneys ....go big and get that smoke away!
    Check out v-wiz oven .... 42 inch ... In the photo section . Just being finished nice chimney and brickwork
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thx Dave but I'm new to the forum and I can't find that oven. Is v-wiz the poster or how do I find it?
      Thanks

Richard

Comment

Gudday
        Sorry using a I phone so haven't figured out how to make link.
        V-Wiz is the poster his oven build is ..42 inch oven and grill in Los Angeles and its in the oven photos section.
        Yes I have a brick chimney myself if you want to check out my build.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once

My Build
        My Door

Comment

Dave, let me help you out

V-wiz's Build

Dave's Build
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

RichC,
            Welcome to the forum???.Hope ya don?t mind me stepping in on the thread.........Here's a question I feel is fitting for this thread and also a good starting topic????. How much chimney will a hearth slab support that is 3 1/2" thick with 1/2" rebar on 8" square centers?
            Respectfully,

KB

My build
            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks guys, I've only recently discovered this forum and its a treasure trove of information and experience. I always thought this site was just about selling a particular brand!!! Glad I found it when I did as I'm just about ready for the supporting slab
              Thanks KB! That probably would have been one of my next questions
              Last edited by RichC; 05-16-2013, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                Dave, let me help you out

V-wiz's Build

Dave's Build
                Gudday Gulf
                Thanks!!! How did you do that?
                O before I forget I'd better point out to check out your build you have definitly got a brick chimney.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  Gudday Gulf
                  Thanks!!! How did you do that?
                  O before I forget I'd better point out to check out your build you have definitly got a brick chimney.
                  Regards dave
                  Just open another window and find the thread that you want to link to. In this case the first page of your build. Left click on the browser link at the top of the page and copy (control c on the keyboard).

Go back to the "reply to thread" window and type in a few identifying words like Dave's Build. Highlight those words and then click on the icon at the top of the page that looks like the earth with a paperclip. It will bring up a box that will let you paste the link(control v on the keyboard) and attach the link to the highlighted words . A word of warning though . Always go to the review post and check out the link before submitting. If you made a mistake and the last thing you copied was,............ say like calendergirls.com it could be embarassing
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                    How much chimney will a hearth slab support that is 3 1/2" thick with 1/2" rebar on 8" square centers?
                    A hell of a lot more than you can build your chimney high.
                    Ive got 100mm of concrete and the chimney stack is over 2M above the top of the oven.

The main problem most ppl forget about is sideways buttressing to stop the entry arch from pushing down and out.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Brickie, would there be such a thing as a drawing that details the block laying for a chimney anywhere in the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by RichC View Post
                        Hi Brickie, would there be such a thing as a drawing that details the block laying for a chimney anywhere in the forum?
                        Hi Rich, not that I know of.
                        By block work I aasume you referring to the block base? Concrete blocks cant be used for a chimney.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          Hi Rich, not that I know of.
                          By block work I aasume you referring to the block base? Concrete blocks cant be used for a chimney.
                          Sorry Al, I mean the brickwork ! I'm away from home for a week but I have 'the breadbuilders ' book at home. Ill check when I get back but I think it might detail a brick chimney build.
                          My dilemma is this, the kit I'm using comes with a 3 piece vermicrete chimney arch. The top piece is prebored and takes a chimney flue. It's then finished with brick slips in the outer edge. I think it's a bit ugly as its more square than arched, so I'm thinking of building a red brick chimney stack, although it will probably end up being plastered. As the kit chimney is made if vermicrete I'm wondering will I be affecting my ovens performance in terms of heat up or heat retention negatively by building my own red brick chimney stack. Not willing to use firebrick as they're ?2.70 each here.
                          Thx
                          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            A hell of a lot more than you can build your chimney high.
                            Ive got 100mm of concrete and the chimney stack is over 2M above the top of the oven.

The main problem most ppl forget about is sideways buttressing to stop the entry arch from pushing down and out.
                            Thanks Brickie. I may reconsider my original brick chimney design. Once I calculated the weight of and oven and chimney of well over 3000 lbs, I got scraaarrrddd and changed my plans and decided to wrap my clay flue with steel studs, Hardee concrete board and stucco.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build
                            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                              3000 lbs,
                              1 and a half tons spread mostly over the entire footprint of the oven is nothing if you have good foundings and good support for the oven slab.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X