Stone Veneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Veneer

Has anyone used cultured or manmade stone for the outside finish of their ovens? We're in the process of building a new house and plan on using a stone veneer on the exterior. I was wondering if there were any potential problems with using a matching finish on an outdoor pizza oven. The same product is used on the exterior of fireplaces and chimneys, but thought I would check here.

Thanks,
    Brian

Sounds good to me

I don't see any problem with using a cultured stone finish product. The only place where your oven gets a little hot that might touch the finish material is at vent landing. You could either build a brick or stucco arch around the vent landing, or use the cultured stone there. Everywhere else, the finish walls are fully insulated from anything hot with lots if insulation.

I know of at least one other builder using a cultured stone, and could put you in touch with them iif you are interested.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

cultured stone

Brian, I am using Cultured stone over concrete backer board. Primarily to save weight, and cost - plus it is the same stone I that is on the facade of my house. I do not think you will have any problem if you use it.

Stanley K.

Comment

Great! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!
        Last edited by Gruneun; 04-18-2005, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Re: Stone Veneer

I am planning stone veneer finish over cement or concrete board (permabase). Do I need to waterproof the board before attaching the veneer or will the mortar take care of that? Permabase says it is impervious to water but it is not a water barrier.

Also, any ideas on where I can find roofing that looks like authentic tile but is easy to install?

Thanks.

Fred

Comment

Fred,
            I would use the recommended mesh tape on any of the concete board seams along with a fortified thinset mortar. Then use the same fortified mortar for installing the stone veneer. When properly trowled (spread with the smooth side first, then the notched side) it will seal the surface under the stone.

Comment

Hey RT florida,

I know this is an old post and it is exectly what I am searching for. I am planning on attching stone veneer to my pizza oven exterior walls of hardieboard and concrete blocks and wasn't sure about using a water proof barrier. The roof on my pizza oven is 2" thick concrete pored and sloped to the back. It overhangs the walls by 5 1/2" over hang on the walls ( without the stone veneer).

I guess my questions to you are the following:

The mortar will act as a water proof barrier?

Do I need to apply a scratch coat first before I apply the stone venee?

The mortar I plan on using is a product called Stone-Hold is this what I would use for a thin set or is there a better product available?
              STONE-HOLD Cement for Stonework

I attached two pics of my oven.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
              Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

The mortar is not water proof. You need to tape your joints, then coat with a product like this:

Waterproof Membrane from Custom Building Products | The Home Depot - Model#: LQWAF1-2

And then you can thinset the stone directly to the membrane, and if it will be a design with grout lines you should use regular Type S or N mortar for the grout.

Comment

Tscarborough,
                  I used this stuff, Drylok to waterproof the roof of my saferoom. I know it works pretty well for that application and I know it works pretty well for waterproofing basements. I bought a five gallon can to paint my stand before I complete the french drain. I have enough to do my sides, back and then some. I am going to apply some thin face brick to the front of my stand. They will be cut on the wet saw to 3/4" thick from old brick that I have. I intend to make a decorative arch around the wood storage and grout/tuckpoint the arch and the few course brick that it will take to complete. I've noticed that even with a 36" overhang of the roof over the front of my oven that these "dog day monsoons" still allow a lot of splash (depending on the wind) up about a foot high on the front of my stand. My question is do you think that the thinset would stick to the Drylok?
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am familiar with the product, but do not know if it is able to be used under thin brick. I would contact them to make sure.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tscarborough. You recommendation is exactly what I was looking for. I went to H-D today and bought some RedGard (they certainly don't give that stuff away $ 89 /gal!!!). As for the thinset I plan on using Megalite which even recommends to use their product with RedGard.
                      Awesome advice!!

This is starting to make sense to me now.

1) tape and seal all joints in cement board using Megalite,

2) apply two coats of RedGard

3) use Megalite thin set to bond Eldorado Stone (veneer) to RedGard.

4) use S or N type grout to fill in the joints between the veneer fieldstone.

One last question when bonding the stone veneer to the wall do I use a notched trowel and set them like I would if I were doing ceramic tile or do I butter the back of the stone and press it in place?
                      Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

Full coat back buttering is the best way.

Comment

Working...
                        X