No announcement yet.

Adding chimney length to Primavera 70?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding chimney length to Primavera 70?

Hello, I am the proud new owner of a Primavera 70 and have it outside on a kitchen island. I am planning to put a partial lean-to style roof in over the whole thing, and I know you need 14 inches of clearance over the chimney, but I would like to extend the chimney through the roof and attach a rain cover to the top. Two questions (at the moment):

1) Will a longer chimney change how the oven operates?

2) How do I add to the chimney and make it look like the bottom part (terra-cotta)?

Thanks!

Re: Adding chimney length to Primavera 70?

a taller flu will both add to the draw but also add to the friction. How is that for dancing around that issue?

it really depends on several factors, but the general rule is taller will draw better. Others will chime in on this I am sure. I don't think that you will notice any difference to the operation of the oven unless you are experiencing a draw problem. It should make your cooking and entertaining better because a taller chimney should keep your area less prone to smoke and less irritating to guests/cooks.

Matching and attaching and supporting an extended terra cotta flu wont be easy IMO. I didn't say impossible, just challenging.
    Here is why:
    a. color match=close but probably not perfect (maybe FB could hook you up with their terracotta flu guy and it would match and fit)
    b. Size-see item a.
    c. attachment-will have to trim to get a lip/edge to mount to avoid a simple butt joint.
    d. support-not sure what the primavera would support as far as additional weight. Terracotta is heavy. depending on design , could require buttress.
    e. warranty from FB-my guess is warranty is voided by modifying their oven(not sure)

I would talk to FB tech support and see what they say first.

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

You should contact FB directly. I'm sure they would have made provision for a taller flue, it is a common request
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
        I did ask them about it when I talked to them and they kind of danced around it, didn't really give me a good answer other than they don't have anything to add on to it.

I wonder if I could get the paint and add a metal flue and paint it to match?

Comment

W
          You can definitely add a metal flu i think. they are lightweight, very efficient and safe when installed correctly. The covering can support the weight of the pipe as well if you choose. You can also cover the pipe with a chase if the pipe appearance is not desirable. You will have to consider how your project will incorporate the pipe to determine if you need single wall pipe, double or triple. Depends on how close the pipe is to combustible materials.

I dont think you will be happy with a painted chimney pipe if you go with anything besides single wall. IMO. All of the double and triple wall i have seen is galvanized or stainless-not good to paint. Maybe their is other i havent seen. also will want hi-temp paint. I think matching the stucco color of the oven on a chase would be the best bet to incorporate a chimney and make it all look good. But many material options to consider there.

HTH

Texman
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

How good are those Duravent 4", 5",6" etc double wall chimney pipe sold at HomeDepot ?
            Description: "Durable built with stainless - and galvalume steel; Resistant to corrosion from flue gas condensation"
            I remember reading in other post that galvanized, rotten over time.
            Thanks !!

Comment

i would only do double or triple stainless galvanized will die quickly with the outside and wood.
              Chip

Comment

Go stainless. You order online.

Tex
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

The inside pipe needs to be stainless but the outer one won't get particularly hot, so galv is ok.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X