Finishing firebrick chimney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finishing firebrick chimney?

10-4. Will angle the new pour away from the base then follow up with drainage away.

Really wish you were closer so we could look at this for awhile with a beer. (And a shovel. Lol)

Comment

Have a beer for me! .... Pray to St. Jude, The patron saint of impossible tasks...lol P.S. If there is no water there, there is nothing to freeze.. most base failures is water related.....the rest is compaction......seems you hit the daily double....
      " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Will run the taper of the base (about 1' away) into drain tile to dump it into neighbors yard (evil grin). Should do the trick

Comment

Sounds like a plan!

Comment

I think i figured out the reason for the cracks. I think heat and water in the block may be the cause. The fireplace is huge (5 feet wide 3 feet deep). I make big fires throughout the year unless there is a bunch of snow on the ground.
            The interior of the fireplace is lines with 1/2 refactory bricks. I am going to put another layer of fulls along the back and sides to add insulation to protect the CMUs.

After looking at the solid base, i can't figure any other reason.

Comment

Thats good! back in post #5 I wondered why the crack did'nt go to the bottom....Did'nt know you were burning in it.... I'd do the floor to..and seal it.Then ,on to the oven....

Comment

Working...
              X