Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chimney Insulation on WFO?

Gudday gentlemen
    Sorry we do not have clay chimney liners in Aust that I'm aware.
    Could you please explain how they work, I'm at a complete loss to understand
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

They are terra-cotta tubes 3/4" to 1" thick, machine extruded and low fired. They are very brittle and heavy but also have very low coefficients of thermal expansion at high temperatures.

They can be ruined (cracked) by building a very hot fire very fast, as the inner surface will expand beyond the tensile strength of the material before the external surface reaches comparable temps and expansion rates, small though it is.

They are cheap compared to stainless steel, and will last for much longer periods of time with proper use (on a scale of thousands of years instead of decades).

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        "Best practice" means adhering to industry standards that apply to the materials, method, and location of the project. As opposed to "code" which is the minimum requirement, generalized and often not applicable to a specific application. Wood fired ovens often fall into the the cracks of code, so best practice should always be used.
        I know what "best practice" in general terms means. I spend half my life explaining it to people.
        What I meant was, what is best practice in terms of building masonry in freezing climates?

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
          I know what "best practice" in general terms means. I spend half my life explaining it to people.
          What I meant was, what is best practice in terms of building masonry in freezing climates?
          Just for starters...Don't use frozen sand, don't use water with ice in it, don't lay frozen units, don't let the mortar freeze before it cures, don't leave holes in the joints, make sure the work is properly flashed, dried in, etc, etc,etc.

Winter work is a pain in the neck..but you do what you gotta do.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Frezzing temps is a well known factor here in Denmark, so i'm not worried that it cannot withstand the temp changes, at all. i will also protect it from above from rain and partially wind. And during winter times its most likely going to get a "coat" on for not freezing its but off

But i appreciate the replies you all came with, without you my WFO project would be a mess
            Follow my build:
            https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Tg&usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
            X