Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven temperature vs Chimney Height

Originally posted by mikku View Post
    I'm sure that Stonecutters big Chevy doesn't have any leaks in its' cab! It is too well maintained for that! But the big engine with performance improvements might be the reason for it being cooler when he zooms along the highway--but for the next few days, the ice is going to slow forward motion down a lot. Really hope this crazy weather worldwide changes for the better OR we somehow can reverse all the bad things we have done for the earth to heal itself.
    I've got a Blue Oval, not a Bow-tie.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Stonecutter, you are missing my point.
      If the cab is warm in a static position, but cold in a moving position it has all to do with the movement of air.

Both conditions have heat loss occurring, however the movement makes the loss more dramatic.

I agree about improving the door--Point taken, my door however is insulated with ceramic fiber BUT there are still points where conduction can occur. However, when my oven is hot and the door is in place, I can put my hand onto the stainless steel handle and open and close the door without burning myself... it is warm but not burning hot! So loss is occurring, also the perimeter of the door has woodstove gasket material that forms a seal. There is no lock like a stove might have, but it can be forced tight with a wedge under the tapered handle.

Right now, I am in the process of constructing an enclosure that will add from 6 to 15" of loose fill perlite/vermiculite around the oven. Now with the oven supported by beams, I can insulate beneath the oven with up to 8" of additional insulation (anything is OK), finally where the structural slab is exposed, I am adding Styrofoam insulation. Choice of conventional insulation materials are in areas that will never be damaged by oven temperatures.
      When all is complete, the entire thing will be like a large thermos bottle--only area not super-insulated will be the door.
      No, I really do get what you are saying...and in a convoluted way I am agreeing with you. I just believe a well insulated door can do it all.

But, in less words.... a nice insulated door, in tandem with a damper to stop excess air flow, would make a great set up to maximize heat retention.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        I've got a Blue Oval, not a Bow-tie.
        I'm going to be damned to hell for that one! Visualize Gomer Pyle saying that!
        E-350 dually--but with performance improvements--right?

A really big "I'm sorry"!

Comment

No, I really do get what you are saying...and in a convoluted way I am agreeing with you. I just believe a well insulated door can do it all.

But, in less words.... a nice insulated door, in tandem with a damper to stop excess air flow, would make a great set up to maximize heat retention.
          How's about a good compromise? Make the "overnight door" wide enough that it covers all exposed area where my present stainless door sits, plus thick enough to cover where the smoke would exit the landing area into the chimney! total would be about 8" thickness... but it would be used totally for retaining heat! Pretty doesn't even count cuz it is for the non-use time to conserve for the in-use time! Both birds with one stone!

Or if I follow your line of reasoning- a well insulated door that covers all exposed area of the oven--disregarding the stack would solve this situation--one is about 6" thinner.

Back from getting my ears lowered--roads are getting snow covered and slippery here, second decent snowfall this year--last week's snow has not melted on the roads entirely so driving is a little dicey in spots.

Comment

I'm going to be damned to hell for that one! Visualize Gomer Pyle saying that!
            E-350 dually--but with performance improvements--right?

A really big "I'm sorry"!
            F350..E is the vans

No biggie they are all junk.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

F350..E is the vans

No biggie they are all junk.
              Been gone too long from American soil! Don't remember anymore- even though I always bought Fords until my last adventure with a Chevy that I ended up returning under a lemon law provision! That was a real piece of doggie poop from day1!

Comment

Working...
              X