Oven light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven light

What about using something like this for lighting you oven. It's a BBQ light and if you could attach it near the oven opening, it might do the trick. If you like it, we will add it to the FB Store.

What do you think?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Oven light

Black & Decker had something similar a few years ago. The squeeze park was made of plastic and after about 4 months the clamp fractured and broke. I had it semi-pernmanelty placed on my headboard. My choice was to strip it apart and rebuild it (I was using it on a headboard) or toss it. Santa brought it too me and seeing as it was "cheaply made" I stripped it into pieces and then recycled it into the blue bin. Gardena recycles so it hopefully did not end up in the landfill. That is the quality of the handle?
    Last edited by jengineer; 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM.

Comment

HI Guys,
      I have been thinking about lighting my planned pompeii oven without going to expensive and elaborate lights and systems.
      What I plan is to mount 2 240v downlights aimed into the oven but just behind the facia arch within the chimney vault. If all works out OK, only the occasional clean of the lens should result without excessive oven heat. These downlights in a normal household installation get exceptionally hot so I figure that they will handle the minimal heat without problems. I plan to mount them as low as practicable to shine well into the oven proper and reflect off the firebrick floor.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

This is what I'm also proposing to do - wired with 12 volt heat resistant cabling, purchased from an Auto Electrician. It's the type of wire you used to see in engine bays of old cars, c.1950s, and even a cigarette lighter flame doesn't damage the insulation.

I've a couple of luminaires in mind - see pics below. Both have all metal bodies (also in stainless steel) and ceramic lamp holders. Max 20W halogen bulbs. Might just be OK, provided I don't smash them with my peel! I hope to mount them high enough to minimise this risk, but still illuminate the oven and not just the opposite side of the chimney!

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

I did something similar in our corner oven indoors. I used angled, directional cannister ceiling lights -- hallogen. I'm not in that house now, and I can't remember how well they lit the inside of the oven, but they did a great job on the landing and entry.

Does anybody see any problems mounting them on the enclosure itself, high enough above the opening so they don't get too much smoke, or get hot? Of course you will need foresight to drag you electricity into the enclosure.

If you have some type of outdoor structure, such as a pergola, you could also mount directional lights on that. Something a little more elegant than a flood light with a motion sensor.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Just be sure not to mount them near the oven side of the vent where those gasses are escaping - and lower might be better both for visibility and to avoid any escaping gasses. My guess is that midway might be the sweet spot - out of the peels way and out of the heat.

Wouldn't it be great to have a mounting system that swings into position on demand, but can also be move out of the way for loading and unloading the oven? I think James' idea with a flexible neck would be the way to go, although lighting is really only an issue for retained heat cooking.

Comment

Hendo,
              I suggested the 240 volt downlights because I bought a swag of them when doing major household renovations last year and still have a couple of dozen spare. My son secured them from a supplier to a huge international oven and whitegoods manufacturer when he was managing their imported products. I buy bargains when they are around as they don't normally last long. These particular units don't require a transformer and already have the high temp cabling with fibreglass protection as well. I don't believe that they will get as hot as in a household ceiling installation if mounted immediately behind the front facia brick arch.

Regards.
              Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hello there!

Being conservative, I only resort to technology where it shows an indubitable advantage. Thus if I ever needed lighting up the interior of my future oven I'd just grab my $31 Italian-made 2 million candle-power flashlight (SIP) and shine it where I want to see :-)

Ciao,

Carioca
                Last edited by carioca; 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM. Reason: specs, manuf. added
                "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

The trouble with that is you then need three hands.
                  I could do with one extra at times. Do you also wear shades at night when you get that reflected flash back?

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

No flash, but when I shine the light through my loft window to have a final look at the forno del gallo site, the reflection in the glass is blinding enough until I get the right angle...
                    ciao
                    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

The wife was not feeling well and the fish have the Ich. So I am getting ready to stuff in a UV light (kills mico -orgs) and needed some plumbing. Good reason to kill an hour or two at the other big box (Lowe's). I took the wee one and she was drooling - wooooooooo, wooooooo. She especially liked the light department and we pretended to wash our hands under every bloody faucet that was on display. I had to pull her away from the bathtubs when she started taking off her coat and was messing with her shoes.

Anyway on our way out we hit the BBQ section. I found this portable LED light , probably 5 or 7 bulbs- bright blue/white. It runs on 3AA bats and can be either clamped, C-clamp style or stuck on a steel surface as it has 2 very strong magnets embedded in it. Cost was $20. Could not find much info on it. The reach is about 3 feet/1 meter

The sticker says, and yes this is the correct spelling

GreatLite #161717 Model 42241

Comment

There are several lights installed around my oven.
                        The most important one that permit to see clearly the food being baked or cooked is the 300 W reflector that is installed slightly angled to the front of the vent entry. The reflector is angled because when the baker is in front of the oven landing area, his shadow is not directly over the food.
                        The following pictures, with and without flash, shows the light installation and a night picture of a pizza lighted - without flash.

Luis

Comment

jengineer - Does the light look like it will take oven temperatures for a short while or is it mostly plastic?

I still like the idea of taping it to the Pizza peel!

Christo
                          My oven progress -
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                          sigpic

Comment

it was brushed aluminimum but the lens was definately plastic, could probably be used near the entrance of your oven for short amounts of time. The base has some rubber on it in an attempt to make it water resistant. I think the Luis solution is the better route.

Comment

Hey Luis.. What is your chimney made from? Is it a flue tile? How long? What is it attached to on the top? Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X