Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to extend thermometer probe

Hi folks,

I have the thermometer shown in the attachment. The plan was to incorporate this into my door. The problem is that the probe section isn't long enough to come out the other side of the door. What can I do? Use some wire or copper tubing to extend it? If so, how can I attach it in a heat-safe way?

Thanks in advance
    My oven on a pallet build thread

Re: How to extend thermometer probe

You could try to recess it into the door far enough so that the stem extends out the back.

This type of thermometer is fairly inexpensive over here in the US. Not sure if it is worth the trouble trying to extend the stem if you can get a new one with a longer stem for $10-$20.

Comment

Originally posted by hubert_s View Post
      You could try to recess it into the door far enough so that the stem extends out the back.

This type of thermometer is fairly inexpensive over here in the US. Not sure if it is worth the trouble trying to extend the stem if you can get a new one with a longer stem for $10-$20.
      Thanks,

It cost me €28 (delivered) to get it here in France (where delivery is annoyingly expensive).

It's already recessed. In hindsight I could have recessed it further but unfortunately I can't go further now.
      My oven on a pallet build thread

Comment

Originally posted by di11on View Post
        Thanks,

It cost me ?28 (delivered) to get it here in France (where delivery is annoyingly expensive).
        Ouch. How much too short is it? The stem looks like it might be brass. You could solder on a piece of copper, but I am not sure if you can transfer enough heat to the stem to make it read accurately.

Another option is a recess on the oven side of the door. You could drill an oversize hole and trim it out with an insert that has a smaller hole for the probe stem. I think that could look pretty good.

Have you checked the bricomarch? or whatever the equivalent of Home Depot is over there to see if they have replacement thermometers for barbecue grills?

Comment

G'day
          As soon as you have something for a wood fired oven the price goes up. My current one and that's right they don't last forever is half the cost of the first. I'm using a 75 mm probe thermometer rated to 400 C and sold as a jam or deep fat fryer thermometer you can find them in kitchen stores.
          I don't leave in on the door and exposed to the element anymore. I've drill a hole and simply slip it in and and pull it out and put it away.
          I used to have it mounted in the middle of the door but have now moved the hole to 100mm from the bottom because that's closer to the level that the food is on the hearth.
          Hope something here helps
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Copper tube press fit to the end (and I don't suggest soldering as I think that would destroy the thermometer) will transfer heat to that pretty efficiently. Enough to get you in the ballpark in any case, as door thermometers aren't that accurate anyway. Mine's usually about 50F low vs. temp measured by my IR thermometer.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yes, those are not really the type of thermometer you want, as you will want to measure the temperature of the masonry mass, not the air (because they will be one and the same in a closed oven, but the air will fluctuate as you open and close the door). A cheap IR gun is less than 28 Euros, and so long as you do not melt it or get it wet will work well for a long time, plus it gives you the ability to find hot spots and cold spots when you ware learning your oven.

Comment

G'day Tcsar
                I agree with the point on the IR thermometer, when baking bread I'm a little more fussy and will use the IR thermometer and I'll be watching my watch as well.
                General baking... Not so fussy it gives me a general figure that you can check against the IR thermometer, then when the doors on and not taken off and you run on the door one as you don't then have to remove the door all the time. My old one used to be - 40C out. As long as you know this your alright.
                I'm just thinking I'm hoping that I didn't throw the old out as Ill attach it in the middle of the door for show
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I've just ordered an IR gun (550C max)and an BBQ hood thermometer (370C max) for the princely sum of $23 australian from Ebay.
                  These are for a mate. They are the same as the ones I've been using for over a year on my own oven.
                  28 euro seems a lot.

Comment

Dang, you fellas are lucky ! If im to order an IR gun in Denmark, either on ebay or the stores in Denmark i will have to pay about USD 100 for 1 that goes to 550 celsius. however the standard 0-400 celsius Hood thermometer is only a 10 dollar bill. but its also only 50 mm/.2 inch which is to short for the door.

So im still searching ! (But im also only in my buildstage - inner arch and 3rd course don!)
                    Follow my build:
                    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Tg&usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                      Copper tube press fit to the end (and I don't suggest soldering as I think that would destroy the thermometer) will transfer heat to that pretty efficiently. Enough to get you in the ballpark in any case, as door thermometers aren't that accurate anyway. Mine's usually about 50F low vs. temp measured by my IR thermometer.
                      That is a cool idea! But why choosing a copper tube? I found thermometers with long probes that are copper wires instead of copper tubes but unfortunately read only up to 250 C. I will buy the one with the short stem that reads 350+ C and extend it, so I'm confused if I would better use a copper tube not a copper wire. Does the cavity in the tube make the difference and let the heat transfer more efficiently to the thermometer or is the solid wire more efficient at transferring heat?
                      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                      I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                      X