Needed: Stone veneer professional in Central TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed: Stone veneer professional in Central TX

I've been enjoying pizza in my oven for almost a year now. Structurally, functionally, it's worked out fantastically. Especially due to all the great advice and tips in this forum!
    Here's my build thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/32...tml#post161376

However, to quote that post:
    At least until I get around to ordering and applying stone veneer to the stand. Functional oven first I think -- I'm not in a huge hurry for the cosmetics (it's not like the stand could be damaged by anything short of a tank at this point)
    Well, I need some help with the cosmetics now . I have a bunch of natural stone veneer for the cinder-block stand, and bags of Quick-krete "Natural stone veneer mortar", but I'm having a terrible terrible time using it. Today was my fourth attempt, and I can't get the veneer to reliably install. I've tried mixing the mortar to different consistencies, I've tried with the concrete block damp to dry, but always a portion of the stone falls off. I've even taken each and every piece of veneer stone and used the wet saw to carve a web into the back for grip. I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

The effort and aggravation each time I do this just isn't worth it any more. Does anyone know a good stone-mason they'd recommend who would be willing to work on a relatively small project like my pizza oven surround in the Austin / Lakeway / Lake Travis area? I think I need professional help at this point, and would rather pay a stone pro than a mental health pro.

Re: Needed: Stone veneer professional in Central TX

Reach out to Tscarborough.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

You don't need a mason, you need thinset to stick thin stone to CMU. I will be happy to stick it for you, but I charge an outrageous amount, payable in beer and pizza.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give some thinset a try. Stupid mortar bags say it's the exact right stuff for my application, other online forums like johnbridge say to use mortar not thinset... and also say you should be able to work top-down, yeah right. Maybe they just avoided thinset because it's more expensive, and maybe if you really know what you're doing you can use mortar. But mortar has sucked for me.

No beer available at this time Tscar, sorry, but I have 10 gal of homebrew in carboys right now in preparation for Octoberfest....

Comment

for reference, so others don't repeat my mistakes, this is what I was trying to use:
          Quikrete 80 lb. Veneer Stone Mortar-113780 at The Home Depot
          It says it's the exact right stuff, but the review comment on HD matches my experience. I'm probably going to go hit all the stones that did with a mallet and try to get them to pop off and re-set with just thinset. Looks like 2-3 x the price for thinset, but better than the frustration or having them pop off. I'll use my mortar just for grouting between the stones after they're all stuck.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend wacking the veneer with a hammer, you'll end up repairing more than a few pops here and there. Just give a tap with your knuckle or trowel, and if it sounds hollow remove it and use construction adhesive.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

+1 for thinset. I used those stacked-slate veneers on my oven and thin-set with a wide-notched trowel was just the ticket. They stuck like glue and 2 seasons in I have no issues.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That product WILL work, but it is not as easy as sticking them with thinset. You have to butter the stone correctly to get them to stick when using a Type S mortar w/ bonding agent (which is what that QK product is).

Comment

Just to be clear, what I suggested was referring to the existing, installed veneer...not as an installation technique. I've never used thinset, always modified S or N but I would think thinset would work well. Make sure you get one rated for exterior work and burn the backs of each piece to insure a good bond.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I think it just takes some experience, but that product will work, I agree. I've installed it many times before..... and have never used thinset, but of course thinset will work. Should work great, actually. Just as Stonecutter said, be sure it's exterior grade. Very important point. It will be pricey, but whatever it takes, right? And....w/experience, you can and should work from the top down. That's the way I do it, unless for some reason I need to start low. They are correct. But, w/little to no experience, it's best to do whatever works for you.
                    My Build:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I went through the same frustration...they make it sound so easy...."just lick em' and stick 'em". After several attempts I almost gave up. Finally got the technique down.

1. Make sure you have a good course scratch coat (3/8 notched trowel).
                      2, Make sure your scratch coat is good and hard/dry before attempting the veneer.
                      3. I used my hand grinder to cut a Vee-notch in back side of each stone. (my stones were rather thick and I could do this easily.
                      4. I had someone come in and give me a quote for my little job.....I think he was going to charge me $1000 (I had to supply material).

Make sure you wipe down the stones after they have set. I let mine go too long and there is a lot of mortar residue on the stones.

My "little job" turned out to be deceivingly significant. Get some advice on this forum and give it another try. You can do it!

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm getting better at this. My lessons learned:
                        1) Do a half bag of mortar at a time, I'm not fast enough to do all of it in one go. Close, but not quite, and it makes it that much more frustrating if the last 5 stones just will not stay because your mortar is too old.
                        2) The people who write the instructions on the bag as to how much water to use are lying sacks of poop. I'm sure I'm using "too much water", but it's the only way to get it to the consistency so that it'll squish out the sides when I press the stone in place (and I still have to push pretty hard while wiggling to get any squish-out).
                        3) Don't do rows of veneer on top of each other at the same time if you can avoid it -- much easier to do a long row on one day and then the row on top of it the next day after you don't have to worry about the bottom row popping off due to a bump or the weight of the row above it.

If I ever get a time machine, the second thing I'm going to do is go back and tell myself to hire a pro for this part, even if it was $1k. But I'm already started, so may as well finish.

Comment

It is better to slide them in from the side, not just squish them in. Full butter the stone, then put it on the wall about an inch to the side of where you want it and, with pressure, slide it into position. The rough edges on the back of the stone should "grate" just as you reach the position, other wise you may have to slide it back and forth until it does.

Pay no attention to the instructions on the bag, mix it until it is slightly looser than creamy peanut butter.

Comment

Working...
                          X