Launching area, vent and chimney.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching area, vent and chimney.

I had received a private mail asking me by pictures about the vent and chimney construction.
    This is a question that came and goes from time to time and with little information about it.
    I am opening this thread just to post a step-by-step process pictures.
    If the moderator think that there are too much space consumed or that could be better move to another thread or any correction is necessary, please be free to modify.
    I hope this help.

Luis

Re: Launching area, vent and chimney.

More pictures...

Comment

And more pictures...

Comment

And more five pics...

Comment

and another five coming...

Comment

and again...

Comment

even more!!!
              Happily, the last ones, with the final result.
              There are some intermediary ones thar were not incorporated. If somebody needs some explanation, please contact me.

Luis

Comment

I really like your entry arch. I wish we could get those radius bricks here in the US.

One clarification for US newcomers: Refractory flue tile in the US is almost always square or rectangular. Round tile is drain tile, and will not hold up to flue temperatures. This is not true in other countries, particularly in Europe.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun:

Those are normal red bricks, not refractory ones.
                  We do not expect to storage temperature along the vent area and chimney.
                  The normal bricks could work with high temperatures without damage.
                  I use to fill a temperature spreadsheet of sensible parts of the oven (hearth, dome, isolation and so on). At the moment when the fire is roaring and has big flames, the temperature in the chimney entry goes higher than 1000?F. This temperature never had affected the entry brick appearance.
                  The normal rectangular bricks are easily worked with a combination of gross (to devastate) and fine (to finishing) sandpaper, when wet.
                  There is a little effort to round a corner if the brick is well embedded.
                  If you could see in the last picture or in older pictures of the finished oven in another thread, you could notice that all the corners of the walls of the oven ?table? are rounded. This work take me not more that a half an hour.

Luis

Comment

Working...
                  X