Chimney insulation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney insulation ?

I am using an 8" SS chimney tube inside my Reg. brick chimney on my WFO, on one side the tube is pretty close to the bricks and I was thinking to insulate using perlite or vermiculite to keep heat away from bricks, I contacted the bricks manufacturer and he told the Reg. bricks I used were rated to 1700 degrees and not to worry about it but I don't want to take any chances and go ahead and insulate. What do you guys think? I was thinking of perlite with cement mixture and just pour it into the chimney between the tube and bricks.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Last edited by ceeyahd1; 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM.

Re: Chimney insulation ?

I'm not an engineer, but an air gap is a better insulator, IMO. Filling with vermicrete will create a thermal bridge (however small) to the chimney bricks for sure. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I think I will leave it alone since the space around the chimney tube are the chimney walls and they are open on top of the chimney, I was just going to lay a SS mesh to be used as a spark arrestor and a stone cap on top of the bricks, there won't be any temp. buildup since all the heat from the tube will go out through he top of the chimney.

Thanks for your help, i just wanted to make sure since the mason is coming today to finish up the chimney.

Comment

Originally posted by ceeyahd1 View Post
        I think I will leave it alone since the space around the chimney tube are the chimney walls and they are open on top of the chimney, I was just going to lay a SS mesh to be used as a spark arrestor and a stone cap on top of the bricks, there won't be any temp. buildup since all the heat from the tube will go out through he top of the chimney.

Thanks for your help, i just wanted to make sure since the mason is coming today to finish up the chimney.
        I used leftover 1 inch ceramic blanket between my face brick and clay flue liner. The temp at the top of the flue is around 170 degrees and the face brick are at air temp, keeps the brick from getting hot. The only place where the face brick get up too 200 degrees is where they start on top the firebrick throat I built.

Comment

Working...
        X