Chimney in back of oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney in back of oven

How hard to build and how effective would a chimney that angled to the rear of the oven after it exits the vent. I am trying to get the chimney further away from the front of the oven, because the front of the oven is going to be right up against a covered porch. I don?t want to have the chimney taller then the roof of that porch. So I need the chimney to be 10? away from the porch roof. Any ideas? Thanks. Weaselorlando

Re: Chimney in back of oven

The chimney type you are talking about is known as a squirrel tail for obvious reasons. It I believe was used by dutch settlers to this country. I know of a youtube video of a 3or4 day build of such an oven you might want to search it to see for yourself. Ive often thought of redirecting the exhaust gasses over the dome to increase heat absorbtion similar in concept to masonary heaters.

Comment

Traditional ovens in Naples are built that way - there was some talk earlier on this forum whether that was part of the VPN designation. I've seen a restaurant with an aggressive horizontal travel for a chimney. If this is against a porch cover attached your house, you need to verify what the maximum angle allowable is for fire code. I'm not sure, but 30 degrees sounds familiar, hopefully someone here can verify.

Comment

If you are working to code, your flue tile should not be more than 30 degrees off vertical. Also, the top of your chimney should be 24 inches above any structure within 10 feet.

The "squirrel tail" oven was designed to use flue heat to heat the oven. I think that this, like the "traditional" neopolitan flue placement is faulty because once the fire dies down the draft through the flue will also serve to cool off the oven. This might be less of a concern if you never did any retained heat cooking, but there is still the matter of flue angle: The thirty degree angle is the most that a flue cleaning brush can navigate.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I read in the Simpson Duravent installation guide that two sets of 30º angles (four elbows total) are allowed by code and that the maximum run between elbows is 72". You can find that here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/duratech.pdf

Having said that, like Maver I have seen pizza oven vents in restaurants that run sideways. I would also note that the air that is exhausted by your oven is very very hot.
          James
          Last edited by james; 04-17-2007, 06:19 AM.
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It doesn?t sound very promising. I am on a trip right now, but when I get home, I will post a photo of my proposed instillation site, and see if you guys have any recommendations. Thanks. Weaselorlando

Comment

How effective would it be to place the vent and chimney at the reat of the oven? would the oven still 'breathe'?

Comment

Originally posted by CSWolffe View Post
                How effective would it be to place the vent and chimney at the reat of the oven? would the oven still 'breathe'?
                Don't know how well they work but you can see details build pictures of one built in Las Vegas here.
                Argentinean Campo Oven - A Masterpiece
                Wade Lively

Comment

The Argentinean oven is definitely a regional style of wood-fired oven. The part of the design that I don't understand is that if you want a fire in the oven for higher heat cooking, you have to have the chimney vent in the back of the dome open to give the smoke somewhere to go -- there isn't a vent outside the front of the oven. It seems like this would work well for retained heat cooking, when the vent is closed, but not for other types of cooking where you want to use the heat of the fire.

We have members with that type of oven, and the empanada sound great.
                  James
                  Last edited by james; 05-29-2007, 12:21 AM.
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore This link shows one way to get chimney to the back

Comment

Originally posted by gaptogap View Post
                      MHA News - 2006 Meeting - Backyard Oven with Peter Moore This link shows one way to get chimney to the back
                      The oven is beautiful - but am I the only one that finds the stand under it very scary? The blocks aren't straight, aren't staggered, and on the left aren't even abutted to each other. It looks like it is on nothing but dry stacked piers and I'm dubious that they are even reinforced.

You can tell it's not staggered from the first pic of the stand at the top - but the really scary stuff is on the party pics at the bottom. I'm no expert but it looks almost dangerous. There's no way my Dad would have put up with that kind of workmanship.

Really bizarre - such great workmanship on the oven and such cruddy work on the stand supporting it. Even just from a strictly aesthetic POV it's a mess.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                        The oven is beautiful - but am I the only one that finds the stand under it very scary? The blocks aren't straight, aren't staggered, and on the left aren't even abutted to each other. It looks like it is on nothing but dry stacked piers and I'm dubious that they are even reinforced.

You can tell it's not staggered from the first pic of the stand at the top - but the really scary stuff is on the party pics at the bottom. I'm no expert but it looks almost dangerous. There's no way my Dad would have put up with that kind of workmanship.

Really bizarre - such great workmanship on the oven and such cruddy work on the stand supporting it. Even just from a strictly aesthetic POV it's a mess.
                        The stand is only temporary, as well the oven ,at the end of seminar everything is torn down.

Comment

Ah... that's sad but it does explain a few things.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                          [/CENTER]

Comment

There are old Amish designed ovens that were called "squirrel tail" ovens. The flue was routed back over the top of the dome to the back. It still vented out the front though. I thought it would be interesting simply to go back to the top of the dome but, would make repairs(if ever needed) more difficult.
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I guess that oven works much like residential and commercial gas ovens in the sense that they vent the gases out the back with the door in the front. Perhaps an oven shape could be created to allow the gases to more fully heat the oven before exiting the vent. Also interesting that the door could be closed durning firing. As for the flue angles mentioned, how would that relate to the masonry heaters that many masons build in the northern climates? The flue systems of these heaters run horizontally. Cleanouts could be added to the design perhaps? Peter Moore is a heater mason, if that means anything?
                              Best
                              Dutch
                              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                              X