Running Teracotta flue liner through the roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Teracotta flue liner through the roof

I have been building my oven for the last week. In 5 days my brother and I dug and poured the slab, laid the block, poured the hearth, put down a herring bone floor over Iso board, and assembled the GeoPom oven.

Now it's time for the flue liner. I had intended to go with the Terracotta because I like the way it looks. Question is: how to get it through the roof?

One thought was to cover it with the scraps of left over Iso board and stucco the outside.

I really don't like the look of round stainless duct.

Anyone have some advice?

After I recover - I am so sore! I will post the story and the pics.

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Re: Running Teracotta flue liner through the roof

I don't believe you. Prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
      Now it's time for the flue liner. I had intended to go with the Terracotta because I like the way it looks. Question is: how to get it through the roof?

After I recover - I am so sore! I will post the story and the pics.

Christo
      My advice, take 2 tylenol and then post the story and pics

Could you define the problem of getting it through the roof a little better? In my case, I build the roof around the chimney.

Comment

I promise pics will come.

Pentagon base with slightly sloping flat roof to the back.

Planning a finish very similar to this oven - but lighing niches in each side of the pentagons flanking the door.

I see terra cotta tile leaving the roof but don't know how high the tile goes either.....

Thanks!!!

Christo
        Last edited by christo; 04-17-2007, 04:44 AM. Reason: could not get picture to link so attached it
        My oven progress -
        sigpic

Comment

According to code, flue LINER is just that: a liner for a masonry chimney. code says that there is a half inch air space around the liner, then four inches of masonry. The chimney cap on top of the masonry exterior is what supports the vertical flue liner, and if cast in place, is flashed so that the flue liner is a slip fit (for heat expansion) rain leakage is prevented by two layers of flashing. One layer goes under the top layer of shingles or tiles, and leans against the chimney. The second layer is slotted into the masonry chimney, and goes over the top layer of roofing. These flashings can be quite complicated. The reason for this is that the structure of the house can move at a different rate than the chimney going through it, and a rigid connection will bend and break causing leakage.

Now for a freestanding oven, with nothing combustible in it, then you can probably just run the flue tile through the roof and wrap flashing around it, tabbing it to go under the top layer of shingles. Resist the impulse just to slather roofing cement around an exposed flue tile: burning roofing cement isn't a very appetite enhancing smell.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So I can take the 8x8 tile through the roof. Will probably put some of the FB isoboard around it and flash to the tile.

Will probably then use some of the scrap tile to make a ring around the flue tile and mortar the ring to overlap and seal the flashing. I don't think the flashing will conduct enough heat over 2 inches to cause a problem with the rubber membrane I plan to put on the roof.

As for tile height - I was figuring 18 to 24 inches above the roof? 24 seems out of proportion tall. I'm going with 18 and will test it out before I put on the cap. If I need more - I will just add it.

James, do you have an estimate for tall the hearldsburg oven flue is and how well draws?

See any issues with this plan?

Thanks again!!

Christo
            My oven progress -
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X