Oven door ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven door ?

I just finished my build that included oven, bbq island and fireplace. I had a welder put together a door for me using 4" insulation block, door looks great BUT the door gets super hot and I think I am losing a lot of heat from the oven, I thought about gluing a rope on the inside edges of the door but I don't think that would do anything since the door sits very tight on the brick wall.

Is it normal for the the door to get really hot? any ideas on what to do to make the door more efficient without losing the metal front?

Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	20141012_165832.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	321349

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141012_190240.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	321350

Name:	20141129_130526.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	321351

Name:	20141129_130611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	321352

Name:	20141129_130658.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	321353

Name:	20141129_130807.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	321354

Re: Oven door ?

I am thinking that the heat is travelling through the metal around the enclosed bricks.

You could try cutting off soem of the heat flow-path by cutting slits in the sides of your oven door (see attached picture). This will help isolate the inner door panel from the outer panel.

Another approach would be to cut away some of the inner surface of the door so that you dont have as much surface area exposed to the high heat....let the insulation bricks take the punch. They way you have it right now, the bricks are being protected from exposure to the heat and the heat is being transferred through the metal.....

Just some thoughts.

Comment

The other issue I see is the outer plate of metal is directly touching the outer face of the firebrick composing the oven arch. You could put some stove gasket on the inside face of that outer plate to help reduce the heat going directly from the oven arch to the outer face plate. The stove gasket comes in round or in a flat wide shape of various widths and thicknesses. They make a high temperature gasket cement used for wood stoves which would hold the fiberglass gasket to the metal. You would probably have to periodically reattach it or change it over time but it's pretty quick and easy to do.
      Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
      40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I do like the idea of slits in the metal and this would definitely help on heat loss but I would need to figure out what to fill them with since I have insulation board inside. I did buy rope gasket and originally I was going to put it along the inside edges of the door but after seeing what was going on with the heat traveling from the inside to the outside of the metal I did not think that would do any good.

Comment

Working...
        X