Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do I mount the SS pipe anchor plate to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do I mount the SS pipe anchor plate to?

Hello all,
    My first post and first oven install. I have read a lot but am stuck on how to build the chimney for my oven. I have a dome oven that is fully constructed. I have to build the platform then insulate the oven igloo style and build a chimney in front of it. I want a brick chimney with a 6" stainless steel pipe liner inside of it. I have some leftover bricks from the house I just built that I want to use for the chimney. If I make an arch out of those house bricks and then cut a hole and mount the anchor plate on top of the arch for the stainless steel pipe, will I have a problem with the heat cracking the bricks? I read posts saying the house bricks could stand the heat since it's not direct flame and I read other posts where the conclusion was they could not handle the heat. If they can't handle the heat then how do I build a firebrick "base" for the chimney that can be hidden behind the house bricks that create the arch? I want the chimney arch to be as shallow as possible so the access to the oven door is as short as possible. My house bricks are about 7.5 inches long. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: what do I mount the SS pipe anchor plate to?

Originally posted by pappy77 View Post
    Hello all,
    My first post and first oven install. I have read a lot but am stuck on how to build the chimney for my oven. I have a dome oven that is fully constructed. I have to build the platform then insulate the oven igloo style and build a chimney in front of it. I want a brick chimney with a 6" stainless steel pipe liner inside of it. I have some leftover bricks from the house I just built that I want to use for the chimney. If I make an arch out of those house bricks and then cut a hole and mount the anchor plate on top of the arch for the stainless steel pipe, will I have a problem with the heat cracking the bricks? I read posts saying the house bricks could stand the heat since it's not direct flame and I read other posts where the conclusion was they could not handle the heat. If they can't handle the heat then how do I build a firebrick "base" for the chimney that can be hidden behind the house bricks that create the arch? I want the chimney arch to be as shallow as possible so the access to the oven door is as short as possible. My house bricks are about 7.5 inches long. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    The bricks around the ss flue pipe will be fine and won't see temps high enough to damage them. Where there may be some direct flame impingement i.e. where you attach your anchor plate is an area where firebrick would be better. What size is the interior of your oven. Generally a 6" flue is ok up to a 36" internal diam oven. Anything larger requires an 8" diam flue pipe.
    Last edited by david s; 02-19-2015, 04:04 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Re: what do I mount the SS pipe anchor plate to?

It is about a 30" oven I believe..I bought it off of Craigslist about 2 years ago and have had it in storage ever since. Finally deciding to do something with it. It looks just like this one Pizza Oven (minus the vent/chimney) I only paid $400 for it so I'm a little weary about the quality but what the heck? It's new and I can't see any cracks in it.

Comment

Working...
      X