Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimney question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • william
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    Thanks
    The flue liner is what I was trying to describe, I wanted to have the brickwork visible.
    Bill

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    Ah,ok. If you are worrying about the chimney bricks and mortar getting hot on the inside while they are cool on the outside, there are two courses of action that I can see that you can take.
    1. Insulate the the outside of the chimney bricks. Then of course you lose the bricks' aesthetic/ascetic appearance.
    2. Drop the stainless pipe into the interior of the brick chimney a la flue liner. The bricks will then not see much heat as there will be no flame impingement.

    Leave a comment:


  • william
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    Sorry Dave
    My question is about the brick
    Bill

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    If the pipe is stainless there is no problem about the heat. If it's just thin galvanized steel the higher heat will corrode it quickly.

    Leave a comment:


  • william
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    Hi Dave
    Thanks for the spelling to many beers last night. I agree with the weight just wondering about letting the heat go thru the pipe closer to its source rather that five or six courses up
    Bill

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    Originally posted by william View Post
    Hi
    I want the brick chimney more for ascetics with a short piece of flue above.
    Thanks Bill
    I presume you meant "aesthetics" unless you think a chimney with a brick look will induce a kind of lonely demeanor.

    More brick on the arch means more weight for it to support increasing sideways thrust at the base, so don't go too high before adding the flue pipe.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: Chimney question

    I would mount the plate right there.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 05-07-2015, 02:01 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • william
    started a topic Chimney question

    Chimney question

    Hi
    I started doing some internal brick transition in the flue opening to take the 9" x 6" opening to 6" x 6" my original idea was to take the chimney up five to six courses and the mount a stainless flue to get above my closest roof line maybe two feet more. I started thinking that all that brickwork in the chimney is going to collect a lot of heat from the fire. I am thinking now maybe it would be better to mount the plate and flue pipe at this point and build the chimney around the pipe. I want the brick chimney more for ascetics with a short piece of flue above. I know that the heating of all that brick might cause mortar failure from expansion. any opinions.

    Thanks Bill
Working...
X