Aluminum Arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Arch

Toying with the idea of using aluminum Diamond plate in the arch surround. Melting point of aluminum is 1200, there are 2 thermal breaks in the archway. Cast dome.

The designer in me says go for it, the engineer says it isn't up to the job. Just seeking any input.

Thanks

Re: Aluminum Arch

I'd say listen to the engineer. AFAIK, aluminum doesn't do great with repeated heat/cool cycles. Think about aluminum engine blocks.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by tunemarshall View Post
      Toying with the idea of using aluminum Diamond plate in the arch surround. Melting point of aluminum is 1200, there are 2 thermal breaks in the archway. Cast dome.

The designer in me says go for it, the engineer says it isn't up to the job. Just seeking any input.

Thanks
      I would go with it I cannot see it getting very hot

Comment

Remember that aluminium is highly conductive, so it will pick up and lose heat rapidly. If surrounded by refractory the rapid expansion can be a problem, so allow for this in your design.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Remember, metal expands with the slightest temperature difference, it expands proportionally. In my bedroom I have a structural beamand in spring as well as in autumn, I can hear the cracking noise of steel expansion with temperature difference of 15c only. Imagine having a normal temperature then building up the heat to get to at least100c at the door. You will witness the aluminium doing miracles...lifting your arch with the bricks and cracking your oven.
          I saw this and said the same to my brother who built a pizza oven...he regrets not listening to me as he thought the metal arch was only sitting on the hearth and would not be able to lift the shear weight......it did!!

Comment

A large restaurant oven built in our town had the same problem with an oven door frame built in steel. It had a huge crack caused by the expanding steel creating pressure on the surrounding refractory. The owner/builder never bothered to try and fix it saying "all ovens have cracks". Remember too that aluminium is more conductive than steel. If you allow for an expansion gap it could be OK.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X