Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how hot does the roof get in a gabled style oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hot does the roof get in a gabled style oven?

I am planning to make a gabled house style structure over my oven, and i'm wondering how how much heat is transferred through the insulative layer around the oven. i'd like to make a sod roof, but this obviously wouldn't work if the roof heated up too much. has anybody any idea?
    -Paul
    overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Mine does not exceed the environmental temps (e.g. temp of the ambient air). Also, the only part of the housing overall that gets even warm to the touch (from the oven not the air) is part of the wall directly in front of the chimney. The Durock I used to sheath it has no problem with that temp (might hit 100-110F max -- it's not enough to burn my hand).

Jim

Comment

BTW, here's a pic of my almost done oven -- just need the decorative archway brickwork.

Jim

Comment

thanks! i really want to try the living roof idea. your oven looks great. by the way.
        -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

so do you think it would be safe to use wood to flash the gables on the roof? i will frame everything in metal, of course, but to do the sod roof, i will have to make a curb around the roof, for the soil and sod to sit inside of on the roof, and wood would make the best option. bad idea? might work???
          -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Good idea. Ought to work fine. Cedar would be nice although pressure treated would do the same job.

Comment

How the hell are you going to do a 360 on a G+S off the top of a Sod Roof?(O.K. On a Burton in December maybe.............)

Comment

no problem at all...the skatepark is UNDER the hearth. though those "curbs" on the roof are tempting. maybe i'll just stick to skating other people's empty swimming pools instead of my own oven, thanks for the advice....
                -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
                X