Power / fan venting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power / fan venting?

Does anyone have any experience with adding a small (convection-style) fan to help vent the oven where the flue is not tall enough to vent it naturally? I have seen fans for other high-heat applications but don't know if they would work in this case. Any information on how much draw a 36" oven actually needs in order to work well?

Thanks to anyone who might help.
    ajc1

Re: Power / fan venting?

Power venting is used for exterior fireplaces, which have a nasty habit of blowing smoke back in downdrafts. You could get some info from the Rumford site.

You don't even need a chimney, at the risk of getting smoke in your face. Why do you want a fan? I suspect that it would just gum up in the smoke and be a lot of trouble.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Power / fan venting?

Thanks for these tips, dmun. I was led to believe that the oven needed at least 24" vertical rise to create a draft and sustain the convection effect. But this may be wrong. The fan would be to help pull some air. The Rumford site looks interesting, and they say that using a chimney pot will create the effect of greater vertical rise.

ajc1

Comment

Working...
      X