Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco/Hardibacker Question

Hello all,

I also posted this question under ?Brick Oven Photos? where I have been sharing my progress. I didn?t want this question to get buried, so I decided to post here as well for anyone who has stucco experience and/or an opinion. I will be finishing my project with stucco over hardibacker. Two sides of my oven/counter are 6" away from a 6' privacy fence. Do a really need to stucco these sides? It will never be seen. Will the hardibacker wear better with the added protection of the stucco? Or will it just not make that much difference? I don't think it will get much weather exposure. Is there a quicker easier product I could use for that area? Could I even just paint it with a good outdoor paint? I'm starting to run out of steam and thought this would save me a bit of time. But I want to do this right. So if I really need to stucco this, I certainly will.

Sharon

Re: Stucco/Hardibacker Question

Having just finished with the coating on my concrete board, I'll pipe in with my 2 cents. I'd at least put a coat of surface bonding cement on it. It has good weather resistance and will seal up any of those small holes where perlite will evenutlaly find it's way to pour out....

I used surface bonding cement to coat mine. I put it on approx 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and used the screen tape on the corners and edges. It mixed up nice and creamy and was easy to apply - two things to note here - wet the board a few times before applying - that stuff really sucks up the moisture and second - apply very thin coat first to make sure you have good contact between the concrete board and suface bonding cement.

Good luck!

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

Christo,

Thanks for the advice. One more questions, did you put any wire over your hardibacker or did you just aply the surface bonding cement directly?

S

Comment

I bet the expanded metal screen is overkill. Hardibacker (the cement board) was used in my bathroom. Stuck the tiles directly to it let it dry added grout and then sealed it.

Comment

Did not need the expanded metal per instuctions on surface bonding cement.

Applied directly to the board.

Christo
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X