Glass Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Door

Anyone ever entertain the thought of a glass door for the oven? If so please comment. If it has been discussed here please direct me I would appreciate it. What I am looking at is a glass door that would be permanently mounted. I did a search but came up with nothing.

Thanks for any input
    J.P.
    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Re: Glass Door

No worries with a glass door.
    I was thinking along these lines initially, but my oven has an arched doorway to get those intended higher goods in and decided thsat it was too hard to come up with an ecconomical door with heat glass.
    Just find a rusty slow combustion heater with close to the correct sized door. You then need to mahe a frame to suit both, oven and door. You might even find the correct sized one from a manufacturers og slow combustion stoves as a spare part.
    The idea for a glass door is to see your cooking in progress??? Well you will then need a light to see and then solve the reflection problem.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks, Its for a potential customer. She doesn't want the door to be removable because of kids, etc. I explained to her about being able to see but she really wants the door. I proposed a glass insert but she wants the whole thing glass...I really need to find a source for this. Are there any companies making them for ovens or will I need to have it custom fabricated?

Comment

I found this place Custom Glass Replacement & Cutting Services - One Day Glass

for a 12x18 piece of cermaic glass with shipping its about $80.00 not bad at all.

Comment

I like the idea Uno....now that I've done a bit of bread making I think the option to be able to see things without opening the door would help me.

how about a double layer....would that help with heat retention?.....our house oven (domestic gas/electric) has this but the idea is to make it reasonably safe so the kids don't burn their fingers on the front....it actually works.
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Also keep in mind that you may want a smaller piece of ceramic glass that you could put the light behind. I would allow it to be accessible from the outside of the oven and wouldn't necessarily need a special kind of light bulb. Maybe the glass guys have a piece of scrap or something.
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

My buddy owns a glass place. I am making a glass door. There are 3 levels of heat resistant glass. 1 is good for 500 degrees, class 2 is good for 900 degrees and class 3 goes up to like 1500. Its called pyrex. Go to any place that fixes car or home glass, they should be able to help you

Comment

When I lived in alaska I saw a cabin woodstove/heater with a clever idea for a clear glass window in the door. They designed it so it used a pyrex plate. It had a decorative bezel that held the plate (and if memory serves had a silhouette of a branching tree across the face). If the plate got broken it was an easy and inexpensive replacement job.

Wiley

Comment

My last two woodstoves have both had glass doors so it's pretty common. I would guess they had the middle range glass although pyrex would make more sense.

Where can you find a woodstove graveyard? You could get door and frame all in one!! The Majestic woodstove I used for 15 years and sold with our cottage. It had a neat feature in that the door could be removed just by lifting off the hinge pins so you could have an open fire. Also, it had that rope gasket/waterglass seal I've talked about recently.

Now where to find an old Majestic?...maybe ask your local woodstove dealer about replacements...they must wear out...."any old ones out back?"

"if you don't ask, you don't get" is a line I've used in business about sales (might have been in the bar too!) Anyway, on Saturday last I was walking out the car at the local Bodega and saw a bunch of stuff in the corner including some huge pottery jugs...asked the old man if he wanted to sell them and scored all three for 60 euros. They look great in the garden!
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                  X