Framing Nearly Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing Nearly Complete

The frame is nearly complete. I still have to put up a few more braces in the rafters. Next is the wiring and the Hardiboard. I should have it water tight this weekend. I've never framed before, so it was a learning experience. The pitch is a 7/12 to match the house. Cutting the rafters wasn't to bad after I figured out how to use the speed square. I cut 14 rafters in a little over an hour.

The second picture shows what happens when you use a power driver on perlcrete. It was a small piece so I just used some liquid nails and 3 in screws. Its not going anywhere.

Third picture shows where I cut out the perlcrete with a 6 inch putty knife and a hammer. Pretty easy. I then attached the track with liquid nails and the power driver. We sometimes get high winds down the front range (+ 60 mph) so I wanted to make sure all was secure.

The last picture shows the detail of the Carolina Pit BBQ smoke stack tie in to the chimney. The pit wil have to wait until next spring, We already had our first snow.

Re: Framing nearly complete

Way to go KC -- looking good. We've been framing in windows and doors, and putting in some decorative arches between rooms. I think there is something fulfilling about it. It has a high reward to effort ratio, where you can really see the fruit of your effort.

What type of roof are you going to do?

Last item, I am moving this to Design and Finish. You're there.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Framing Nearly Complete

Thanks James, we are leaning toward a Tuscan theme. Red clay tiles are at the top of the list.

Comment

KC,
        We're doing the same design here. We just picked a Mediterranean roof tile (and our roofing contractor).

Photos to come -- a while to go for that. Do you have a roof tile picked out?
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

KC,

Thanks for the pit BBQ vent explanation - it was starting to look like something NASA would build Great work, and it's a bummer about the snow - it's just a matter of time here.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Looks great..for some reason I just love the look of something framed with steel studs..maybe its because I grew up near Pittsburgh..na then again there is nothing like the smell of lumber being cut. But yet again trying to find a straight piece of wood is quite a chore. I usually spend the price difference of steel in labor culling through the lumber pile..
            By the way what is that black stuff on the NASA BBQ vent?
            http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I haven't found the tiles yet, any suggestions?

The black stuff is made by DAP and it is high temp morter for fireplaces. It said on the tube it is for repointing fire bricks and fireplaces. I put it on the seams to make sure I have a good seal. $3 insurance.

Comment

KC,
                We found two alternatives. One is US Clay Tile, which makes U and S shaped Spanish style tiles. These are widely available and reliable, but look a little bit modern. The other is to find an importer of Mexican-made tiles. We found an importer in Monterey and a roofer, both of whom have access to these tiles. They look more rustic and handmade.

At this point we are working on getting a re-roofing permit on the Mexican tile, and hopefully it will come through. The installed look is more old-world.

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James, I'll check on the Mexican tile.

Comment

I'll post a photo and the product name later.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

KC,

Keep the Photos coming. That's the kind of framing I want for my oven.
                      Thanks for posting!
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

The framing wasn't that hard. It took me two days, mostly because I've never framed or used stell studs before. I used hand shears for 80% of the cuts before I tripped over the angle grinder and said "I bet that will work". Makes the cuts VERY quickly. Also watch your fingers when driving the screws! Buy the "pointed" tipped screws. They drive much easier.

Comment

I am past the framing part and will be applying a scratch coat this weekends as my final look will be a stone veener. Here was my framing completed before I applied the hardibacker. I did have a friend come over who has had some experience with metal framing and I was very pleased with the ens result.

Comment

What did you use to cut the hardibacker? Do you cut it like drywall?

Comment

For straight cuts I used an utility knive and cut it like sheetrock. For the curves and small cuts I used a metal blade on my jigsaw and that worked really well. Here is the oven with the walls in place.

Comment

Working...
                              X