thin set for slate or masons mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thin set for slate or masons mortar

Working now on my slate bit to fill in the front of the landing. Will cantalever out only less than one inch. I will face it with 1/8 th inch steel to hide the end grain of the slate.
    I find myself with quite the arsenal now of vermic concrete, high heat mortar(2 types) reg masons mortar and not sure to use some of the above or to shop for some thin set. I have used thin set before on a DIY floor at my home. On this application now I have a small space between the slate and exposed agragate stand and a large space between the slate and the vermic concreet underneath (maybee 2" deep). I am thinking of using reg masons mortar. Should I mix with sand. Oh yea I also now have some type N mortar. Man I do have a lot of materials out there. Also the steel border shown in attachment will also be part of the equation. I hope to fasten it to the slate with the same mortar. The steel band will be shaped to match the perimeter of slate and comming back around and tucking underneath the fire brick at the landing entrance....thanks wayne
    Last edited by waynebergman; 12-29-2007, 05:23 PM.
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: thin set for slate or masons mortar

Wayne,

You could use Thinset Granite and Marble, but you don't have to. Personally, I'd use Type S and brick sand: 3 sand to one mortar.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
    X