door in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door in progress

Attachments here show my door in progress. The first pic shows the handles turnded to the side which will let me slant the door slightly back for small fires in the oven and the second pic shows the handles spun upright which will keep the door upright and should give a snug fit to dome entrance for baking bread etc. I plan to add a section similar to whats shown here at the front of door to the back side of whats here. This will make the door about twice a thich as what we see now. I plan to fill the cavity with my left over insulating blankets and vermic concret. I will try to design it so the back half is welded to the front half in just a few places and away from the handle areas so heat wont transfer too much from the back side of the door to the outside and the handles. Then vermic concret and what not to fill in and insulate. I will post more pictures as I go. As allways I appretiate any ideas any one might have for improvements on design. ...wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: door in progress

Cool design, what was the original use of those giant eye bolts? I could have had a dozen of those lying around and never thought of using them as handles. It still amazes me the creativity of all the members here.

RT

Comment

Now THAT'S a door!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hey RT. I have no idea what they are originally made for. Thanks for the encouragement though. ...wayne

Comment

I forgot to ask my original question. I am thinking of coating steel with a vegy oil or something so its wont rust. On the front side I would like to maybee paint an Italian flag or something but not sure about what kind of paint to use because of being around food. Not sure if my normal trimclad treatment woudl be a good idea or not. Any one have any ideas?...wayne

Comment

Good job, Wayne Do I understand you will make another similar 'shell' piece for the back? Otherwise the big nuts might be difficult to insulate, and the 'handles' could get hot...

Have you/anyone an idea of how to cut thermal glass? I have a couple of doors from old electric ovens in my shed that have twin panes of glass, with air in between. If I could cut down two pieces to a smaller size, I could use them in a metal frame of my own.

But I suppose the glass will shatter easily on attempting to cut, and anyway, it mightn't be strong enough to withstand the higher oven temps...

Cheers,

LMH
            "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

My neighbor that made my iron door painted it with a high temp paint rated at 1200 degrees. It's held up to the heat so far.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hi Carioca....yes a second half like the front with a 1/4 " space inbetween. The joining of the two will be a few pieces of flat bar welded away from the handles. Should keep the heat to the inside of the oven half of the door I hope...wayne

Comment

Originally posted by carioca View Post

Have you/anyone an idea of how to cut thermal glass? I have a couple of doors from old electric ovens in my shed that have twin panes of glass, with air in between. If I could cut down two pieces to a smaller size, I could use them in a metal frame of my own.

But I suppose the glass will shatter easily on attempting to cut, and anyway, it mightn't be strong enough to withstand the higher oven temps...

Cheers,

LMH
                  Hi Carioca...........I think the glass in your oven doors are two seperate sheets. You should be able to cut them and join them together using high temp silicone adhesive.

Comment

more progress photos

Door is coming along. Back half of fabrication,insulation and black high heat paint to go. The copper has taken on a nice patina with the heat from the torch giving some of the outer copper areas kind of a rainbow magenta cast. The hammered look came from placing a piece of rubber under the copper and beating it with a ball peanned hammer. Happy so far with this, hope the insulation will keep the door handles cool to the touch and I also hope the lay back positon of the door will work for keeping small fires in the oven and retaining heat....wayne

I will add more to my album later today...see link below

Comment

Cool!
                      Dave oringinally inspired me with the idea of a copper door. I was even thinking of cladding the entire dome in copper or brass. I still hesitate as scrap metal thieves steal everything around here that has copper in it. Crystal Meth? No thanks! As it is, I'm going to sweat my stainless steel chimney until I go to my grave.

PS. Dave, this doesn't mean I think you've got good ideas or anything
                      Last edited by gjbingham; 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM. Reason: adding
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                        Cool!
                        Dave oringinally inspired me with the idea of a copper door. I was even thinking of cladding the entire dome in copper or brass. I still hesitate as scrap metal thieves steal everything around here that has copper in it. Crystal Meth? No thanks! As it is, I'm going to sweat my stainless steel chimney until I go to my grave.

PS. Dave, this doesn't mean I think you've got good ideas or anything
                        My wife never thinks I have good idears either.
                        Wuzzup wit dat?

Oh well...

Speaking of copper thieves..
                        I work for an electric cooperative. Around Christmas day several members of the "Copper Recycling Guild" entered the premises (under the cover of darkness) and helped themselves to hundreds of pounds of new copper.
                        And all for recycling. I guess they were helping the environment or something.
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                          Hi Carioca...........I think the glass in your oven doors are two seperate sheets. You should be able to cut them and join them together using high temp silicone adhesive.

Yes Inishta, they are two pieces in each door (actually one outer piece shattered in the one door, and I replaced it with expanded aluminium mesh - lasted until the oven expired :-)).

What I am worried about is that this is a special type of heat-resistant glass - can one cut it like ordinary glass?

Cheers,

LMH
                          "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Wayne, I haven't come upon your build until now..but really, really, impressive! The door is really kicka$%#! I appreciate things that are different than the norm and yours is a great example! Keep up the good work!
                            Dave
                            David and Cynthia Manchester

Comment

Hi Carioca,

Originally posted by carioca View Post
                              What I am worried about is that this is a special type of heat-resistant glass - can one cut it like ordinary glass?
                              LMH
                              the heat proof glass is not necessarily hardened nor tempered, so it should cut relatively easy. I would contact a leadlight maker and get them to bandsaw it using one of their diamond impregnated blades which they use to cut intricate shapes. It should not cost much and could be done whilst you wait.
                              I have printed normal 8mm plate glass and then had it fired to fuse the ceramic ink and then the customer had to get 1/4" cut off one edge to fit the panels into their overhead dome location in a large Russian Orthodox Cathedral without problems!

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                              X