Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Location

Hi
    I just finished my wood oven and had a question about the chimney, i have located it at the center of the dome but it has come to my attention that it may not be the best lace as it makes the heat leave the oven. what do you think?
    thanks

I think you'll find that with the centre vent you'll not achieve the temperatures that most folk cook at. All is not lost however as I used my dome oven quite successfully for over a year without a vent arch or flue, yes you do get a bit hotter as you're working in the flue gases but I just used a very long peel.
    In your position I'd seal the top vent and carry on cooking, the alternative being a major rebuild.
    Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Your oven will work quite well. I built my first oven with the flue at the centre of the crown because Ancient Roman kilns were built this way. Also there are a number of small ovens at Pompeii built this way.There are advantages and disadvantages of an updraft system such as this. Yes it will lose more heat out the flue than a cross draft system. In the case of a kiln, because it is full of clay wares the flames work on the contents before exiting. With your oven you are firing it empty.if the oven is pretty small the extra fuel consumed is of little consequence. The big advantages are that it will draw really well, you won't have any smoke out the front issues. This is probably the main reason houses in Pompeii had updraft ovens. You wouldn't want your house getting smoked out every time you started your oven. The second big advantage is that you don't have an entry to work past. This makes operating the oven far easier, also reducing the length of required tools. You will find that you won't have difficulty attaining the high temperatures required, but you will need to maintain the fire continually when cooking pizza and arrange blocking off the flue at the top, when doing retained heat cooking, usually with a tile that you can slide over the top. Do not be in a hurry to rebuild the oven, start using it to see how you like it. Flames out the top of the flue could be a problem.
      Last edited by david s; 07-30-2015, 02:09 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you very much for the comments they have been of great help, i will start my oven, cook with it this way and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
        X