Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie trying to figure out how high to make the chimney/pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie trying to figure out how high to make the chimney/pipe.

I am going to build the Pompeii, Tuscan (high vault) 42" oven (with a 20" wide x 12.5" wide oven opening. I was planning to use a 8″ DuraTech double wall Stainless Steel Chimney pipe. But I don't know how long the pipe should be. The oven will be over 10" from any structures, so there isn't a safety issue for making it really high, but is there a "draft reason" for making it a certain height? Thanks in advance for helping me with this.

Originally posted by JABF99 View Post
    I am going to build the Pompeii, Tuscan (high vault) 42" oven (with a 20" wide x 12.5" wide oven opening. I was planning to use a 8″ DuraTech double wall Stainless Steel Chimney pipe. But I don't know how long the pipe should be. The oven will be over 10" from any structures, so there isn't a safety issue for making it really high, but is there a "draft reason" for making it a certain height? Thanks in advance for helping me with this.
    An 8" flue is the correct size for a 42" oven. You can make the flue as short or tall as you like, but you don't want it so short that exiting smoke is a problem. Probably no shorter than a metre. The taller the flue the greater the draw, but anything taller than about one and a half metres will probably require some stays.
    Last edited by david s; 12-05-2015, 01:16 AM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

An 8" flue is the correct size for a 42" oven. You can make the flue as short or tall as you like, but you don't want it so short that exiting smoke is a problem. Probably no shorter than a metre. The taller the flue the greater the draw, but anything taller than about one and a half metres will probably require some stays.

Thanks for the response. I was originally thinking of a 24" length of chimney pipe. But after reading your post, I probably should go with a 3-foot high pipe.

Comment

Working...
      X