OUTDOOR CONSTRUCTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUTDOOR CONSTRUCTION

I have an 40" Italian-made dome style oven. It was installed and used in my last residence undercover of a patio roof. For that reason it was not required to be weather-proof.
    Unfortunately the buyer saw no value in the oven so I removed it and now want to install it at the new home.

Here's the situation; it will be in the open, in a courtyard, one side up against a cement block building. Exhaust should not be an issue. My dilemma is after wrapping the dome with insulation is what material should be used next; i.e. mortar, to form the outer shell to which the final covering will be laid. I am anticipating using a mosaic size tile to over-lay the oven. I am wondering if I should first build a "roof" over the insulation in the form of the dome perhaps from wood, and then proceed to layer with mortar and a finish tile????
    I welcome input from all of your experience as I cannot pretend to be well qualified in this design area of the process. I am open to ALL suggestions!
    It might be helpful to know that I am located in Florida, so the climate is not severe in either direction.

I take it the oven was not insulated and now you are going to insulate it. What are you using for insulation, ceramic fiber blanket, perl or vermiculite/concrete mix? In order to do mosaic tile, you will need a solid masonry base, ie 1" concrete base such as a stucco scratch coat. Florida doesn't have the temperature extremes like other parts of the country but you do get a lot of rain so mosaic tile may be problematic. Pics of the oven would be helpful.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
    X